• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm no size queen, but a couple of those look small enough to be children's flatware.

I guess I'm more partial to elongated designs like below.

The Minimal is actually pretty massive. Hard to get a sense of scale from the pic.

I would be shocked if anyone here can differentiate “quality level” among any of these sets, beyond “it’s made from metal, and doesn’t have any burrs or sharp edges”.

Apparently, the points and interior surfaces of the fork tines are telltale. Worse made stuff will not be properly ground/finished, leaving the inside of the tines rough and the points squared off or blunt.

That's a fair point about the spoons on the 24. My problem with the 35 is that it indeed reminds me of mess hall flatware, and I find the neck of the fork and spoons to be inelegant.

Of these, I like the Odeon.

The minimal is the worst to my eye. I have the same objection to the neck as I did in the Pott 35. The roots are too deep, and the knife looks unfinished to me.

The London is fine, but I prefer the forks on the Odeon. The forks on the London are too rounded for me and like the 24 conjure and image of a spork in my mind.

The Minimal is my favorite, but now I’m reading some not so great stuff about David Mellor.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1603633360766.png

WWII German mess kit utensils.

Everything fits nicely into the can opener.

1603633633528.png

Similar design in a lot of European countries.

Sweden has a more elegant take on it.

1603633716956.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want form and function, can you do much better than Finnish firm Fiskars' basic 'Functional Form' set, in 18/10 stainless steel and less than $150 for a 24-piece set?

p_29287-01-01.jpg

Given the value, I'd say it has a strong claim to have out-KnifeForkSpoon'd Jasper Morrison in the designed-to-look-undesigned stakes, no? (The designer is Tobias Jakobsen).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want form and function, can you do much better than Finnish firm Fiskars' basic 'Functional Form' set, in 18/10 stainless steel and less than $150 for a 24-piece set?

p_29287-01-01.jpg

Given the value, I'd say it has a strong claim to have out-KnifeForkSpoon'd Jasper Morrison in the designed-to-look-undesigned stakes, no? (The designer is Tobias Jakobsen).

Not bad looking. But the price does make me wonder about quality. I don’t see mention of the steel type anywhere, just that it’s stainless.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The Functional Form cutlery set by Fiskars was designed by Tobias Jacobsen. The cutlery is made of 18/10 stainless steel with an ergonomic handle, making it easy and practical to hold. A classic design with a matte finish that works for both everyday and special occasions.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

p_29287-01-01.jpg

These are excellent. Understated and not so obviously designed as some posted here. The appeal to me in the same way the Almoco flatware I posted earlier do.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

p_29287-01-01.jpg

No salad forks though?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Salad is for cucks, bruh.

I admit that I almost never do a full place setting (just eat my entree and my salad with the same fork like a pleb), but it is nice to have the option.

Also just to have the smaller forks available as dessert forks, lunch forks, forks you can grab while cooking, etc...and still have a full set of dinner forks clean and ready for service.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
But if you're not spending spending $200/place setting, how can you know it is good?

Are there insane licensing fees or some other factor in their COGS or do the expensive designer styles just have huge profit margins?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Are there insane licensing fees or some other factor in their COGS or do the expensive designer styles just have huge profit margins?

I don't work in the consumer space, but from what I have gathered, it is just huge profit margins. Herman Miller and Knoll both have gross margins 30%+ and net income 10%+, and other luxury goods/fashion brands have 50%+ gross margin and 15% net income.

My best guess is that licensing is more expensive than having in house designers, but a place setting like that probably has on the order of $20-30 in COGS, so before any licensing cost, you're looking at 80-90% gross margin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads