• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from, but it's not really that noticeable IRL.

But for those that like these, it's quite a traditional style, so something similar can be had from other makers, without any branding, IIRC.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have the iittala Artik and the design is amazing, but they are a little heavy on the handle end.

1603471909097.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked a similar question a couple of years back, and got some nice replies and suggestions, which you can check out starting around here and going for a few pages.

In the end, I settled on keeping my Citterio 98 from Ittala:

- but if I decide to upgrade, I would probably get the 'Bali' from Ercuis:

Thanks for that reminder and link.

I love the Citterio 98 and I am not sure that the Bali would qualify as an 'upgrade' in terms of design at least...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have brushed stainless GS something or other from Macy’s for everyday use:

6056A198-E2F7-4154-9552-614F3D4F995F.jpeg

Sasaki Eros was our wedding registry pattern:

4957D605-8F24-4F9C-A0E6-1905061582EF.jpeg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pott 35 looks like something you’d find in a military dump store. I think you made the right choice.
They both do, to me. Really ungainly looking, "heavy-duty", would look real good with a canteen and tin plates, and the branding on the knife is hideous. Ergo, all quite predictable I suppose.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They both do, to me. Really ungainly looking, "heavy-duty", would look real good with a canteen and tin plates, and the branding on the knife is hideous. Ergo, all quite predictable I suppose.

This is such a silly criticism. Almost all modern(ist) design can be said to look cheap, simple, utilitarian, etc. Yet, those are the exact virtues meant to be elevated and celebrated in modernism. Many of the iconic modern designs you have posted, for example, “look like” they belong at a campsite or in a cafeteria—at least to those either uninitiated or willfully dismissive.

I think it is far more interesting, constructive, and useful to critique modern and contemporary design on other grounds. For example, why not focus on the relationship between function and form? What about quality of materials and manufacture? And when assessing aesthetics and elegance, why not do so without concern for whether a thing “looks like” something else? There can be beauty in the common and inexpensive, after all.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Pott 33 is much superior to the 35 imo.

The 35 is almost comically stark.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is such a silly criticism. Almost all modern(ist) design can be said to look cheap, simple, utilitarian, etc. Yet, those are the exact virtues meant to be elevated and celebrated in modernism. Many of the iconic modern designs you have posted, for example, “look like” they belong at a campsite or in a cafeteria—at least to those either uninitiated or willfully dismissive.

I think it is far more interesting, constructive, and useful to critique modern and contemporary design on other grounds. For example, why not focus on the relationship between function and form? What about quality of materials and manufacture? And when assessing aesthetics and elegance, why not do so without concern for whether a thing “looks like” something else? There can be beauty in the common and inexpensive, after all.

hard to weigh in without a place setting fit the fork is resolving your table and your face no?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha just taking the piss

stupidity aside i like the 33s very gracious taper from the flat to handle to little tail nice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads