• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

retinafaucet

Reaction score
On the topic of armchairs, anyone has experience with Modernica? Especially with non-fiberglass / Eames product? We just bought a cottage and the Papa Bear chair would really look perfect in front of the fireplace (and i've been wanting it since like forever). Just got a quote and even after a healthy discount, it's almost $25K with the ottoman. My uncle bought one of those in 2011 and paid around $10K so i'm a bit taken aback by the price inflation. Sadly and despite my best efforts at mental gymnastics, there is just no way I can justify paying so much for a chair, let alone convince my wife so I thought I would look at repros. The Rove Concepts of the world just do a sub-par product that I could never live with, but interested in the version that Modernica makes. I know people rave about their HM repros, especially the fiberglass chairs, but was wondering about experience with other products. They only offer the Papa Bear in walnut also which is a bit annoying (i would want oak), but I guess it's something I could live with.

Also, anyone has experience with the Ro Lounge Chair from Fritz Hansen? It's a lot better priced a around $4K and the wife and I both really like the look, but my recollection of sitting in it was that it was pretty upright (I prefer a bit more of an angle). Currently living out COVID ~300 miles from the nearest DWR so I might not get the chance to try it out before Xmas and am a bit uneasy buying something I haven't recently tried.

If you go with the Ro, Fritz Hansen still has some left from their 40 percent off quick ship sale (from their newsletter sign up) -

I do believe they can provide a shipping quote to see if it's worth the savings. (Not a shill, just a recent lurker after discovering this thread from google searches on "is the womb chair comfortable?")

I haven't tried sitting in one myself, they look like they have a slight tilt with good ergonomics curving to the shape of the spine, but a blind buy is risky. (I found an aeron desk chair uncomfortable after sitting in it despite the almost universal praise)

retinafaucet

Reaction score
It's SOOOOO expensive, but I keep going back to the Paulin pacha chairs for the pair of living room chairs I've been looking for. No doubt not the most consensual choice but they have that weirdly charming, inviting vibe that makes me smile.

View attachment 1478634

Have you tried these out in person? If so, how is the comfort? I love the look and I'm getting into the idea of having a legless/low seating living room.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cups should get here tomorrow. Now, flatware!

I have looked at both the KnifeForkSpoon (Jasper Morrison) and Ovale (Bourellec brothers) series from Alessi. Great price! Six sets for under $300. However, not 100% in love with either design. Plus, it would seem that Alessi has moved production to China / Vietnam and quality has reportedly decreased.

Also looked at the Georg Jensen New York series. Price is also great—only nominally more expensive than Alessi. However, same story on production: no longer made in Denmark, but in China. Similarly, quality has dropped.

So if I want top-quality stainless steel flatware for everyday use with a minimal/modern design, what are the choices?

At the moment eyeing the Pott 33 series (from . . . Pott). I’ve always loved this design. But the price! $400 for a five-piece set—$2,000+ for six sets.

The funny thing is we registered for these 12 years ago when we got married. Not surprisingly nobody gifted them, so we went without. Still love them.

Made in Germany, with proper hollow-handle, weighted knives. Have not handled in person though.

Want to pull the trigger but wondering if anyone has any experience. Will these feel that much better than stuff from the likes of Alessi and Georg Jensen? Any other options to consider?

Pott 33:
8649949D-7591-4EB0-A44A-0363BC4E9B6C.jpeg

Alessi KnifeForkSpoon:
2855D217-82F3-4761-81B6-DD5BC00601B1.jpeg

Alessi Ovale:
1603426937008.jpeg

Georg Jensen New York:
1603426997343.jpeg

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Pott fork's abundance of tines puts me in mind of a six-fingered hand. Otherwise, I like all of them.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have looked at both the KnifeForkSpoon (Jasper Morrison) and Ovale (Bourellec brothers) series from Alessi. Great price! Six sets for under $300. However, not 100% in love with either design. Plus, it would seem that Alessi has moved production to China / Vietnam and quality has reportedly decreased.

Also looked at the Georg Jensen New York series. Price is also great—only nominally more expensive than Alessi. However, same story on production: no longer made in Denmark, but in China. Similarly, quality has dropped.

So if I want top-quality stainless steel flatware for everyday use with a minimal/modern design, what are the choices?

At the moment eyeing the Pott 33 series (from . . . Pott). I’ve always loved this design. But the price! $400 for a five-piece set—$2,000+ for six sets.

The funny thing is we registered for these 12 years ago when we got married. Not surprisingly nobody gifted them, so we went without. Still love them.

Made in Germany, with proper hollow-handle, weighted knives. Have not handled in person though.

Want to pull the trigger but wondering if anyone has any experience. Will these feel that much better than stuff from the likes of Alessi and Georg Jensen? Any other options to consider?

Pott 33:

Alessi KnifeForkSpoon:

Alessi Ovale:
View attachment 1482647

Georg Jensen New York:

The Alessi Ovale really remind me of IKEA flatware, or I should say the other way around probably. If we take the version I grew up with, it's even more close.

ikea-365-bestek-56-delig-roestvrij-staal__0713272_PE729382_S5.png

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pott fork's abundance of tines puts me in mind of a six-fingered hand.
The proportions on all the Pott pieces look clunky/bad (also on the Morrison "kfs" stuff), and the tines are indeed excessive. The Pott are the worst transitions of the bunch, and give off this not-good feeling:

497px-Grant_Wood_-_American_Gothic_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

"Ovale" are the most interesting of those candidates, but I think, depending on one's own esthetic and plates/glasses, Alessi "Nuovo Milano" (Sottsass, Jr), "Dry" (Castiglioni) or "Santiago" (Chipperfield, ) are more elegant than all of those, as is Georg Jensen "Prism", which is really beautiful, moreso than the H Koppel "New York". If one likes minimalism. For even more extreme minimal, Georg Jensen AJ.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm also going to be looking into new flatware soon. So please do continue to share suggestions.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have some Georg Jensen Vivianna that were a gift from my in-laws and they're really beautiful. I'm still impressed by the shapes and lines in person after 15 years with them. Somehow makes eating more enjoyable, which is weird.

Probably too curvy for your taste, looking at the sets you selected.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have some Georg Jensen Vivianna that were a gift from my in-laws and they're really beautiful. I'm still impressed by the shapes and lines in person after 15 years with them. Somehow makes eating more enjoyable, which is weird.

Probably too curvy for your taste, looking at the sets you selected.

Yeah I don’t like overly swoopy/curvey designs. Also, sounds like Georg Jensen quality was better back when you got yours.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

Pott 33:
View attachment 1482645

Alessi KnifeForkSpoon:
View attachment 1482646

Alessi Ovale:
View attachment 1482647

Georg Jensen New York:
View attachment 1482648

We have the David Mellor Chelsea flatware. I consider it a modern classic

ROT

Attachments

• A6D690E8-5630-4AE5-A347-2BEF6ABC7CFE.jpeg
    A6D690E8-5630-4AE5-A347-2BEF6ABC7CFE.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 12

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Alessi Ovale really remind me of IKEA flatware, or I should say the other way around probably. If we take the version I grew up with, it's even more close.

View attachment 1482690
I wish ikea still made this, but I can't even find a good picture of all the pieces together (or even a good standalone of the entree fork)
download (2).jpeg
download (3).jpeg
download (4).jpeg

Best set they ever made IMHO. Well balanced and made from good stainless.

Would have been expensive for Ikea, but still cheap in the grand scheme of things. I think it was sold in the early 2000s

retinafaucet

Reaction score
Perhaps the Erik Magnussen cutlery from Stelton? Looks heavily inspired by the AJ cutlery, but might be better quality. (Not sure where Stelton manufactures these days). I love the AJ design, but it looks like they don't make them like they used to.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Almoco flatware that DWR carries. Maybe a little too simple for some people's taste, but that appeals to me.

W-PD_4698_QUANTITY_5_piece_setting_COLOR_silver_matte-jpg.png

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pott 33:
View attachment 1482645

Alessi KnifeForkSpoon:
View attachment 1482646

Alessi Ovale:
View attachment 1482647

Georg Jensen New York:
View attachment 1482648
I asked a similar question a couple of years back, and got some nice replies and suggestions, which you can check out starting around here and going for a few pages.

In the end, I settled on keeping my Citterio 98 from Ittala:
1603465980761.png

- but if I decide to upgrade, I would probably get the 'Bali' from Ercuis:
1603466024539.png
- though from your selections it seems like you're looking for something more modern?

Btw, how sure are you of the decline in quality from Georg Jensen? I don't think I'd be too worried about the country of production. Both my dad and sister have the Copenhagen set (which I personally prefer over the New York one), and I believe they may have added to their sets in recent years, without any noticeable dip in quality.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I asked a similar question a couple of years back, and got some nice replies and suggestions, which you can check out starting around here and going for a few pages.

In the end, I settled on keeping my Citterio 98 from Ittala:

- but if I decide to upgrade, I would probably get the 'Bali' from Ercuis:
- though from your selections it seems like you're looking for something more modern?

Btw, how sure are you of the decline in quality from Georg Jensen? I don't think I'd be too worried about the country of production. Both my dad and sister have the Copenhagen set (which I personally prefer over the New York one), and I believe they may have added to their sets in recent years, without any noticeable dip in quality.

I couldn't buy the second because of the gaudy branding on them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads