• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could rock #2 & #4 if I didn't really need to pretend to be working. I think #3 is worse than GDL's, but it's so bad that I'd know it's bad and I'd be at peace with it. #1 could be completely unusable. I'd have to test it.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of these spaces seem to be designed for people without knees. Plus none are remotely adjustable. I prefer to be able to stand or sit at different times, and you can't even move the desk surface up or down to fit your height while sitting with any of them, let alone stand. Frankly, built-in desks / workspaces look better than they are. They are mostly unusable in practice and you would be better off, as we do, having a moveable, adjustable, sitting/standing desk that you can put anywhere in the space that you want, move according to light and other uses etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re so right! A desk where you “can’t even move the desk surface up or down” is totally crazy. I don’t even know why they exist! ;)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem for me is the lack of a proper chair. These might be nice for knocking out a half hour or an hour of work, or for kids doing homework while you supervise, but I can't imagine using them much longer than that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not everyone needs a desk and workspace for intensive work. For writing notes, sorting mail, doing bills, etc., that space @gdl203 originally posted would be perfectly fine. It’s just some casual workspace integrated with some shelves, which is highly efficient for an apartment. That particular stool from BassamFellows happens to be quite comfortable as far as stools go—I’d prefer it over some of the chairs recently posted.

I have a dedicated office with a full desk and large desktop monitor. Plenty of space and not compromised at all for being in an apartment. Guess what? I almost never use it. Most of the time I need to work from home, I prefer to sit at the dining table with a laptop. Keeps me closer to my family and there’s more convenient access to the kitchen for snacks or the living room for a moment to relax.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of these spaces seem to be designed for people without knees. Plus none are remotely adjustable. I prefer to be able to stand or sit at different times, and you can't even move the desk surface up or down to fit your height while sitting with any of them, let alone stand. Frankly, built-in desks / workspaces look better than they are. They are mostly unusable in practice and you would be better off, as we do, having a moveable, adjustable, sitting/standing desk that you can put anywhere in the space that you want, move according to light and other uses etc.
I don't get physically uncomfortable looking at things but I did when looking at those. If I could cut down by half the amount of time I spend each day rearranging my screen, shifting my mouse pad, dragging my phone charger or sliding in my chair, well, I mean, I think I'd only have like four more minutes but I would be miserable with a fixed, small space like that.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
more convenient access to the kitchen for snacks or the living room for a moment to relax.

I get the family part, but really you can’t be bothered to walk across a hallway or another room to get a snack or take a relax break? How lazy Americans are. My friend mentioned how her husband is a writer who works from and some days he literally took no more than 50 steps. Bed to desk and bathroom. They laughed about it. I don’t see the humor. Go outside for a ******* walk.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get the family part, but really you can’t be bothered to walk across a hallway or another room to get a snack or take a relax break? How lazy Americans are. My friend mentioned how her husband is a writer who works from and some days he literally took no more than 50 steps. Bed to desk and bathroom. They laughed about it. I don’t see the humor. Go outside for a ******* walk.
Ngl I read foo's post and I thought: unless you have a 10k-foot penthouse...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When I work, I have very little time to spare for even restroom breaks. The added time and effort it takes to go through a hallway and down a flight of stairs to the kitchen means I just won’t bother making the trip nine out of ten times.

Maybe hard to understand, but I bet the other finance / investment banking guys get it.

So, it has nothing to do with being a lazy American. Exactly the opposite. Pretty sure we work harder than most other folks in fact.

Ngl I read foo's post and I thought: unless you have a 10k-foot penthouse...

What the hell? How do you get that from what I wrote?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People who can work on a laptop display alone when they are at home and have the space for full size desktop monitors (or MULTIPLEs of them, but I admit not every kind of work really needs multiples) are weird.

Also, the ergonomics of it are awful...long run working on a random counter stool, neck craned down to look at the little screen attached to your keyboard (or arms propped up to type at a keyboard located where the screen is in a better position) is simply not good for body long term.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I work, I have very little time to spare for even restroom breaks. The added time and effort it takes to go through a hallway and down a flight of stairs to the kitchen means I just won’t bother making the trip nine out of ten times.

Maybe hard to understand, but I bet the other finance / investment banking guys get it.

So, it has nothing to do with being a lazy American. Exactly the opposite. Pretty sure we work harder than most other folks in fact.

What the hell? How do you get that from what I wrote?
Unless you have a 10k-foot apartment why would you worry about how long it takes to get to the bathroom or kitchen for snacks. I don't know man, for how hard you have to work you sure build in a lot of down time....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless you have a 10k-foot apartment why would you worry about how long it takes to get to the bathroom or kitchen for snacks. I don't know man, for how hard you have to work you sure build in a lot of down time....

I just explained. Going through a hallway and down the stairs already makes it not worthwhile or impractical a lot of the time. When I’m plugged into multiple work streams that don’t pause for anything, even finding time to use the restroom can be challenging.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads