• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I said fashion and decor made in Italy. I never liked Italian cars with the exception of some vintage Ferraris. But even those don't compare favorably with the beauty of some English cars or the marvels of German engineering.
I know what you said, man. Come on. I can't poke a little fun at la Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino? Don't do me like that.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I mean, FIAT does a lot to undermine your point about Italian manufacturing excellence...

Are they any better now (if you know)?

My Dad owned a series of them in the ‘70s and ‘80s and we were well acquainted with our “Tony”.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are they any better now (if you know)?

My Dad owned a series of them in the ‘70s and ‘80s and we were well acquainted with our “Tony”.
Based on my friend’s experience with his 500, I think it’s about the same. It’s not for nothing that the US manufacturer they own is Chrysler...

brokencycle

Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An apples-to-apples comparison will be tough. The Italians dominate high-end furniture manufacturing. Chinese manufacturers cater to lower price points.

However:

1. Most of our furniture qualifies as high-end, Italian-made stuff. Much of it comes from smaller makers who really do manufacture their products in Italy. What is consistently nice is the finish of the materials used. They clearly spec quality stuff. However, about 50% of the time, there is some off-putting, shoddy manufacturing flaw that requires exchanging for a new piece.

2. I also use high-end Italian tailors. They certainly employ a lot of handwork—but the quality of the stitching pales compares to what a Parisian tailor like Cifonelli does. It’s not bad, but not beautiful.

3. When it comes to true handicraft, I don’t think the Chinese lose any ground to anyone. Historically, they were the best. It’s just that things like Yixing teapots and Ru Yao porcelain comprise less than 0.00000000001% of the country’s manufacturing output.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ended up going with stools from Muuto similar to the ones @zalb916 posted a while back. Decided I wanted something minimalistic with a simple design that wouldn’t stand out. Seat pads are covered in padded leather so they should be comfy. Found them on DWR’s outlet store for a good price.

View attachment 1395303

Edit: Not my Kitchen.

View attachment 1395306

Good news: I got my stools in faster than I expected.

Bad news: They are not leather. :fu:

The eBay listing said they had leather seat pads. Clear as day. These have some kind of cloth. It's not a bad cloth, but it isn't what I paid for. I'm not sure what happened, but hopefully they make this right without too much hassle.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The eBay listing said they had leather seat pads. Clear as day. These have some kind of cloth. It's not a bad cloth, but it isn't what I paid for. I'm not sure what happened, but hopefully they make this right without too much hassle.

I read that first line and immediately thought you were at the doctor's office trying to dunk on everyone here.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An apples-to-apples comparison will be tough. The Italians dominate high-end furniture manufacturing. Chinese manufacturers cater to lower price points.

However:

1. Most of our furniture qualifies as high-end, Italian-made stuff. Much of it comes from smaller makers who really do manufacture their products in Italy. What is consistently nice is the finish of the materials used. They clearly spec quality stuff. However, about 50% of the time, there is some off-putting, shoddy manufacturing flaw that requires exchanging for a new piece.

2. I also use high-end Italian tailors. They certainly employ a lot of handwork—but the quality of the stitching pales compares to what a Parisian tailor like Cifonelli does. It’s not bad, but not beautiful.

3. When it comes to true handicraft, I don’t think the Chinese lose any ground to anyone. Historically, they were the best. It’s just that things like Yixing teapots and Ru Yao porcelain comprise less than 0.00000000001% of the country’s manufacturing output.

I'm in complete agreement with every word. Although I don't own any French tailoring, every Parisian and African dictator I know IRL has a French tailor and looks better than everybody else. Do you have any Internet resources about French tailoring? (Even if it needs to be PM'd). I know you're more of a bespoke man, but have you tried anything OTR?

You should be able to get 60% off of what you paid plus free shipping (if they charged you). Anything less than that is a humiliating and I'd charge that sucker back.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jr Mouse -- Did you contact them yet? If not, I bet I can get you the 60% and we can whack it up. I'll post the email exchange here for posterity.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Jr Mouse -- Did you contact them yet? If not, I bet I can get you the 60% and we can whack it up. I'll post the email exchange here for posterity.

I sent them a message via the eBay app. Explained what I got versus what the listing indicated and said it was a problem for me. Didn't propose a solution yet. Wanted to give them a chance to reply to me and see what they say.

I'd keep them if they refunded 60% what I paid. The fabric isn't bad, but I had my heart set on leather. Shipping was free.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always open with exactly what I want. I show the rep the light at the end of a long, hard tunnel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads