• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lab/hound/shepherd mix that sheds a fair amount, and he will totally lay on this. Alternatives? Or ideas on how to keep it clean/clean it?
No idea how to clean them; they attract everything. I think they can be washed, but apparently vacuuming is not recommended because Flokati are thin-threaded but long-threaded, very "fluffy/shaggy", and the vacuum will grab the yarns (makes sense).

Your hound (I had 2 very similar) will wreak havoc on it in short order. Honestly I think it will be real trouble and a pita to keep clean.

Better a much tighter, flatter, hardier weave, such as the kilims I recommended above, in this (shedding pets) case.

brokencycle

Reaction score
No idea how to clean them; they attract everything. I think they can be washed, but apparently vacuuming is not recommended because Flokati are thin-threaded but long-threaded, very "fluffy/shaggy", and the vacuum will grab the yarns (makes sense).

Your hound (I had 2 very similar) will wreak havoc on it in short order. Honestly I think it will be real trouble and a pita to keep clean.

Better a much tighter, flatter, hardier weave, such as the kilims I recommended above, in this (shedding pets) case.

You're probably right. It pains me because I think it will be absolutely perfect for the spot I have in mind.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're probably right. It pains me because I think it will be absolutely perfect for the spot I have in mind.
Sure, but your hound will probably think so too, and rightfully so. If you can accept and live with that versus some sanitized version of real life then definitely get the flokati and both (all) of you enjoy it to the fullest. No harm no foul.

CHenry

Reaction score

What about vacuuming without using a electric-mechanical sweeper, suction only? Most decent vacuums have these floor attachments. They are recommended to avoid damaging fringes on fine orientals.

CHenry

Reaction score
I hope you don't have shedding pets, because while they can be comfortable especially flokati and even gabbeh rugs are a pita to keep clean.

You might also check out kilim.com.

Personally, not a fan of the tiger.
Gabbeh rugs are tough and stand up to mechanical sweepers pretty well. I have several around my home and they are not hard to keep clean, and they are used in my highest trafficked areas.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't know how many of you have seen Parasite, but I did not realize the house was a set built for the film, and all the furniture was custom built. They did a great job.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That rug from the last page reminds me of this qashqai one, that got sold for pretty cheap (like 160$) on the swedish equivalent of craigslist some month ago
1582333104288.png

soender

Reaction score
Sad news today. The cabinetmaker Ejnar Pedersen, who started the famous Wegner producer PP Møbler, with his brother Lars, has passed away at age 97. Damn Corona.

Obituary translation.

"Ash is like girls. If they get too much lacquer, they age too quickly. They must be kept with water and soap"

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in SF/NoCal, correct? I remember my mother (who was a modern lit translator, in many languages) used to deal with and also buy books from "New Directions Press" and "City Lights Bookstore"; does that place still exist?
Among Beat writers, I primarily collect Gary Snyder, Lew Welch and Philip Whalen. We are all Reed College alumni and Snyder was my commencement speaker. I’m very familiar with New Directions and fortunately City Lights remains a major cultural landmark to the present day.
@ imatlas:

I was saddened to read this today:
Iconic San Francisco bookstore closed by coronavirus may never reopen

safe_image.php

I hope that somehow someway CL will survive this too.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Think they were raising $300k? Pretty good momentum but only a short-term solution..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads