Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

It used to be half the price? Please disregard my previous comment.

2. otc

otc Senior member

I don't think those past price listings are 100% accurate (since they often exclude certain things IIRC), but it says that it sold for $540k in July and $600something pre-bubble.

Now it is listed over a million...doesn't sound like any major renovations were done and it sounds like they got rid of the furniture...

3. Desi

Desi Senior member

Where is a good place to get replacement pads for Bertoia side chairs? The material doesn't actually matter as I find the price of leather for them to be almost prohibitory expensive at times.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

They're expensive in leather, thats why you usually see them in vinyl. I can get them for you from Knoll, I would wait until knoll sale in Feb.

5. djh

djh Senior member

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

http://www.forth.fi/the-diy-bertoia-side-chair-renovation/

The measurements are there, so you can bring the pad to a upholstery shop and have them make one in leather or what ever you want.

7. Calamity

Calamity New Member

Like those MCM chairs, but try searching for some Bob Mackie pieces...

8. SkinnyGoomba

Finn,

Good link, but I would not take their advice on welding the chairs. They are originally spot welded, which is why the weld does not appear to have any additional material added. My opinion, I think they should advise their readers to having them spot-welded again rather than TIg welded.

9. SkinnyGoomba

Just of few of my obsessions today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

Does anyone know who designed those chairs ? They were at my gf's grandparents house in the north of germany, and no one had any idea.
    [​IMG]

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

They look like unofficial variations of Lina Bo Bardi's furniture. She designed a few chair models with the same components and materials.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

12. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

Thanks for the info ;)

I also took a quick picture of the table I "ikeahacked" by using a donated kitchen counter top and those 25€ a pop metal feets:
    [​IMG]

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Homemade tables can be a good way to go. My work table is a 72" long butcher block (1.75" thick) on steel hairpin legs that I had custom made for around $60. I got the butcher block from a renovating photography studio for $85 or so. All in all, I've put another $50 into refinishing it and it's on par with something similar you'd see at a preposterous markup in a Brooklyn flea market.

14. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

This one cost me close to nothing. The wooden top was given to me (friend wanted to get rid of it), with cheap IKEA feet, I rented a BMW X1 to bring it home (barely fit) for 30€. Then I spent 50€ to get the metal feet and drilled them in. So that's a 80€ table. I'm really satisfied with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

15. otc

otc Senior member

Was pretty close to buying a walnut tabletop from the room and board outlet last weekend...was going to use it to make a new desk.

But then I realized it would probably be months before I could get it from Minneapolis to Chicago

Pretty awesome place though...I hadn't been there for years. A true outlet,not one of those "outlets" that sells produced-for-outlet crap--only open on the weekend, completely random selection, lots of partial items (desktops/tabletops/legs without their matching bits). My mom's been building up a small collection of the PET navy chairs to go on their porch