• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite are the signs that say "Laundry" hung in the room with the damn washer and dryer?
View attachment 1617002

Like...I want to believe that it is just real estate agents staging homes for sale...but I think there are actual people who now think that's the cool way to decorate.

It's the "Homegoods quote Aesthetic" and millennial women love it, Boomers beware - you'll likely not understand a lot of the words as they were made up by the Zoomers.

edit: a quick stroll of our main living spaces reveals that we've acquired no less than 8 of quote/phrase decorations. Who knows how many are in my wife's office, she's on a conference call so I can report back if this is earth shattering information for anyone. We also own a dozen or so Rae Dunn items. My home is "chuegy".

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Millennial women love this kind of cookie cutter crap.

They have also fully embraced the Scandinavian despotism of white walled tyrrany.

Their mantra is "open concept." They will paint anything white. Beautiful old wood siding, baseboards, century old exposed brick.

Beware.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My favorite are the signs that say "Laundry" hung in the room with the damn washer and dryer?
View attachment 1617002

Like...I want to believe that it is just real estate agents staging homes for sale...but I think there are actual people who now think that's the cool way to decorate.

“*******
~ pinch wipe and flush ~”

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We don't have the same counter top culture either, as we eat a different type of breakfast etc., so it's not as common a sight here. Or it would be hidden, yes. One would usually have a coffee machine out in the open though, especially the Moccamaster brand. One does find knife blocks, usually some "artsy" one. It's a whole aesthethic.

They very often have stuff like "artistic" wood boards lined up against the wall (which they never use). "Designer" spice containers that they never use, with stuff like "fish seasoning". Fake flowers in ****** vases has also become more common again, but this time around it's "designer flowers".

It started with the boomers, but are moving towards the younger generations starting to settle.

. View attachment 1617018
Anyone else horrified by that oven?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huge pleb tell that. Only second to having those signs like these:

View attachment 1616921
View attachment 1617002

It's the "Homegoods quote Aesthetic" and millennial women love it, Boomers beware - you'll likely not understand a lot of the words as they were made up by the Zoomers.

edit: a quick stroll of our main living spaces reveals that we've acquired no less than 8 of quote/phrase decorations. Who knows how many are in my wife's office, she's on a conference call so I can report back if this is earth shattering information for anyone. We also own a dozen or so Rae Dunn items. My home is "chuegy".

I’ll just leave this right here

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Guys, cheugy is just a word gen z think they made up. I’m so annoyed by this.

We have had a perfectly valid word in Norwegian since the 90’s! It’s called harry.

It means “tasteless, in an urban way/vulgare”. Everything that has been posted so far would be called harry…

Harry

han var ikke så rent lite harry. Klærne satt i og for seg godt på den veltrente kroppen, men de var aldri helt vellykkede. Aldri virkelig smakfulle.

He was quite harry. The clothes he wore did align with his muscular body, but they were never quite right. Never really tasteful.

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dakota Johnson loves limes.

Definitely staged and styled for the photoshoot. Even a basic realtor will clear all surfaces in your house, remove phones and blenders and extension cords and photo frames, add a bowl of lemons, some flowers and their lucky coffee table book, before shooting the listing pics. A lifestyle mag will go significantly further than that. This shoot even credits the stylist.

I’m actually surprised there isn’t a dog in this photoshoot. There’s always a dog on a rug.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Millennial women love this kind of cookie cutter crap.

They have also fully embraced the Scandinavian despotism of white walled tyrrany.

Their mantra is "open concept." They will paint anything white. Beautiful old wood siding, baseboards, century old exposed brick.

Beware.

Exposed brick is another huge pleb tell.

Anyone else horrified by that oven?

Most important thing about an oven is how it cooks. Sometimes old ovens are boss. I could see that being an old boss Norwegian oven that they don't make anymore. I'm more horrified by those williams and sonoma type ovens that cost like $20k.

We don't have the same counter top culture either, as we eat a different type of breakfast etc., so it's not as common a sight here.

This kind of stuff is some weird SF stuff that everybody here would agree with you but me.

Certainly odd to keep the open cabinets in the foreground empty in the pic you showed, but I really don't see the problem with empty countertops. If you have the storage, store stuff away. Why let stuff gather dust/ make it more difficult to wipe down a surface that should be wiped down everyday?

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I'm not a fan myself. I'm a firm believer that a home should reflect the person/people living there.

I'm more of a japanese kitchen guy myself. Since this is a cool furniture topic. I like a kitchen that looks like its ready to get down and dirty with you.

d9263a16955fd20f94f75e920961840d7b2f047d.jpg

Attachments

• 1_13_11_YurikoTakagi45662.jpg
    1_13_11_YurikoTakagi45662.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 40
  • b51a27e8aba19f332f11c0d7db1c7913.jpg
    b51a27e8aba19f332f11c0d7db1c7913.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 40
  • external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of clay colored walls in that studio lawahl scroll... really like the posts n beams in the last pic

Yeah, white grey and beige were very popular here for a good while but now things are turning back to more colors again, often in muted clay-like tones but also in texture. One of the most popular brands and probably a trendsetter was the brand Detale CPH who offer both dyed plasters and paint with a plaster-like textured appearance, overwhelmingly in these muted colors. By now most other brands also offer similar products so you can achieve the look on a smaller budget too.
1622232322990.png

And @Spinster Jones has already covered parts of the differences, but I figured I'd elaborate and expand with some more info. Like previously mentioned, kitchens in Scandinavia are generally much smaller than a "standard" american one, we have way less machines and our appliances in general are also much more compact. With that said the picture of the kitchen he shared is definitely both an outdated style and from an unstyled listing, it's not the norm to just leave shelves completely unused.

We have had a couple years where people forego upper cabinets and shelves completely for a very "clean" look, and while that is definitely still going strong the pendulum is swinging back, to if not closed and custom fitted cabinets, then a combination of bare walls + open and closed storage, where rather than storage or utilities those open spots are left for art or general decorations like a vase or something.

Aside from the wall/shelves/cabinets aspects (which still varies a lot) the by far strongest trend right now is the resurgence of wood fronts but in modern sleek styles rather than the "old" paneled and grooved framework commonly seen in the US. A lot of the most popular brands are based around IKEA frames paired with non-IKEA fronts for a high-end and custom look on a budget, but along with some brands starting to offer their own frames you can ofcourse also find entirely custom kitchens built from the ground up specifically for your home.

If anyone wants more examples of the popular styles and variations in Scandinavia here are some good links:

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan myself. I'm a firm believer that a home should reflect the person/people living there.

I'm more of a japanese kitchen guy myself. Since this is a cool furniture topic. I like a kitchen that looks like its ready to get down and dirty with you.

View attachment 1617208

I'm a Japanese maniac and love all things Japanese, but the worst thing about Japan is the kitchen situation. Sure, they look cool, but have very limited functionality/storage.

Great content + photos though.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and not to forget, these last couple years there's also been a surge among celebrities in much more maximalist and opulent kitchen styles, with a look almost more inspired by swanky Manhattan offices than a typical swedish kitchen.

The most well-known example for this is would be "Kitchens by Paul", a Stockholm based firm frequently featured on various swedish celebrities and influencers IG-pages and sponsored posts. While the overall style and aestethic is often a bit "much" for me personally, the level of detailing and finish is undeniable and I can't help but appreciate the craftsmanship.
1622234906660.png

1622234950447.png

With that said there are ofcourse also more "tasteful" options available as if you have the budget for spaces like these, my two favorites in that case being the previously mentioned Joanna Lavéns work at Studio Lawahl as well as Louise Liljencrantz work in general whether it be furniture, interior design or kitchens.
1622235619313.png

1622235352509.png

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
View attachment 1615948

I know people usually don't share links to articles in here, but this house is lovely

This place gave me a very specific flashback: seeing a child psychologist circa 1979.

An assortment of images from the firm of my favorite interior designers,
Joanna Lavén and her partner David Wahlgren

View attachment 1616730 View attachment 1616731 View attachment 1616732
View attachment 1616733 View attachment 1616734
View attachment 1616742
View attachment 1616743 View attachment 1616744
View attachment 1616745

Needs more marble.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Oh and not to forget, these last couple years there's also been a surge among celebrities in much more maximalist and opulent kitchen styles, with a look almost more inspired by swanky Manhattan offices than a typical swedish kitchen.

The most well-known example for this is would be "Kitchens by Paul", a Stockholm based firm frequently featured on various swedish celebrities and influencers IG-pages and sponsored posts. While the overall style and aestethic is often a bit "much" for me personally, the level of detailing and finish is undeniable and I can't help but appreciate the craftsmanship.
View attachment 1617217
View attachment 1617218

With that said there are ofcourse also more "tasteful" options available as if you have the budget for spaces like these, my two favorites in that case being the previously mentioned Joanna Lavéns work at Studio Lawahl as well as Louise Liljencrantz work in general whether it be furniture, interior design or kitchens.
View attachment 1617227
View attachment 1617222

Kitchen-as-status-object is a fascinating trend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics