• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well...I'll try it yet again. Stained wood is never great always terrible.
Here is a free "third time's the charm" suggestion, from a slightly different POV, for whenever you feel it appropriate to make this extremely valid point once more.

Bromley

Reaction score
Ammonia reacts with tannins in wood, and evenly darkens the material itself. The grain ("wood graphics") remain perfectly intact-- only darkened. Stain is applied to a wood surface, and the pigments cover/obscure wood grain to varying extents. As an observer, fumed wood looks natural to me, whereas stained wood looks stained.

Fuming is also rarely used as a final surface treatment. For instance, fumed oak turns kind of green as it darkens. This appearance can be greatly improved with the some amber shellac. The shellac will also bring the grain detail into sharper focus, making the fumed wood look even more distinct from stained wood.

I think that if you're making things out of pieces of wood, and you care about what you're making, your wood choice and grain direction will be thoughtful and intentional. It's nice not to cover that with stain. And if you're a big factory churning out wooden objects in large quantities, I think it's still nice not to use stain.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really don't see the diff ?
AF is species-to-species i.e. it doesn't blend or modify or obscure grain to "achieve a different look" but only darkens the intrinsic pattern and grain. It is not a liquid additional product so it does not run, puddle, coagulate. AF colors generally remain more specific to the original species and AF color is typically more durable long-term. The process also has cons relative to staining or dyeing; the processes are definitely different.

EDIT: what @Bromley (much more expert than I) wrote just above.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is using a tinted oil finish okay (e.g. Rubio Monocoat)? Or is that equivalent to staining?

Bromley

Reaction score
Follow ur heart.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that Newson Cappellini auction the day it was listed. We DO NOT need another blowup spot for furniture.

I hate you guys.

And answer my PM Matt. Damn you. I love you.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right. I missed the wide opening on the bottom.

Thanks.

lefty

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any reco's for DIY lamp hardware that people like? this is a good sized table lamp

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.