• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few Japanese companies that make really nice watering cans — one is called Negishi. Come in all sizes, in copper, brass or white metal. Traditional looking but I think that’s suitable for a functional object, and Japan does functional beauty extremely well.

There is also an English company called Haws that is quite iconic in England. Again, traditional designs but very functional and will last forever. I think they actually give a lifetime guarantee.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need handles.

Also, as a practical rule, refilling is easier than lugging around a huge watering can in the home.

Loathing put you on a good path. I'd opt for something like the below. But maybe somebody who knows about this stuff can weigh in (I use an IKEA watering can for reference):

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of like these HAY ones:

They are the worst designed watering cans, in practical terms, that I have ever seen. you need to be able to controls a big watering can with two hands. Seriously, as others have said, function is more important when you are carrying and pouring 2+ gallons of water. I'd put another vote in for Haws, which are by far the best combination of functionality and design. They are expensive but you do get what you pay for here.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which haws is nice for indoor plants? Why not just get a multi purpose one instead of a dedicated can?

emptym

Reaction score
2 gallons seems like too much to carry imo. I just use a cup to water plants but have always liked the looks of this $2 Ikea model:
ikea-ps-2002-watering-can-light-turquoise__0953657_pe804279_s5.jpg

@brokencycle, wool blankets > comforters, imo. I sweat under comforters, but my wife prefers them. I think we have whatever thewirecutter recommended.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2L is like 4.5 lbs of water plus whatever the receptacle weighs, so something two-handed. the hay seems inadequate.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It always blows my mind how expensive these mail-order houseplant places are. 95% of the options are available at Home Depot for a third of that price.

I hate shopping in person in general, but it's one place where brick and mortar is still king unless you want something rare. Even worse with outdoor plants, you can get much larger and more mature plants for the same price local vs shipping.

brokencycle

Reaction score
It always blows my mind how expensive these mail-order houseplant places are. 95% of the options are available at Home Depot for a third of that price.

I hate shopping in person in general, but it's one place where brick and mortar is still king unless you want something rare. Even worse with outdoor plants, you can get much larger and more mature plants for the same price local vs shipping.

We have local places if you go sightly outside the triangle that make the big box places look expensive.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not looking for that big, just something more like 3l or 1 gallon....

The person I'm giving it to already waters with a gallon milk jug, it is just hard to water some of their plants without spilling because you can't slip the mouth past the leaves.

I ended up ordering this one, we'll see how it works. https://bloomscape.com/product/large-watering-can/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Shopping Feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=240239&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&gclid=CjwKCAjwgZuDBhBTEiwAXNofRAFJ-qOZhvCCjVj99yj-ehBjPrVe9DCCg4aGbOaFaDzuWTO36xkQiRoCdaQQAvD_BwE

Wait a second...let me get this straight: You read poasters' feedback and then you incorporated this feedback into what was a reasonably prompt decision? ARE U TRYING TO KILL THIS THREAK111111111111

I hate shopping in person in general, but it's one place where brick and mortar is still king unless you want something rare.

BC is 100% right that big box is not where you want for plants. Local, local, local –– if not for quality, then for value. But since giant corporations have bared their teeth and are now trying to take over the world and are hocking cheap garbage (Amazon, for one), B&M is significantly better for a host of items. I urge poasters to shop in the flesh and use the check out aisles where people need to check you out. THIS IS HUMANITY'S FINAL STAND11111111

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BC is 100% right that big box is not where you want for plants. Local, local, local –– if not for quality, then for value. But since giant corporations have bared their teeth and are now trying to take over the world and are hocking cheap garbage (Amazon, for one), B&M is significantly better for a host of items. I urge poasters to shop in the flesh and use the check out aisles where people need to check you out. THIS IS HUMANITY'S FINAL STAND11111111

I whole heartedly endorse this sentiment, especially in this arena, given that my family's business is retail landscaping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads