1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

2. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Me too.

So...where to kop discount airport furniture?

3. SkinnyGoomba

It's 38k, not for the faint of wallet.

I assume you want to spend less than 38k, maybe narrow it down slightly further.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. otc

otc Senior member

Wright auctions are local
    http://www.wright20.com/

I've heard good things about both Broadway Antique Market and An Orange Moon, both of which are supposed to have a lot of midcentury stuff (but I've never been). Probably not much stuff of that caliber, but you never know until you look.

5. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Yea, it's not cheap, that's why I asked if there was a less expensive sofa in a similar style to the PK31.

6. SkinnyGoomba

Hans Wegner CH103 is similar, little over 1/2 the price.

7. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Thanks. Maybe the price of its repros will be more palatable.

8. SkinnyGoomba

Right, I'm sure you'll get a fine work of craftsmanship. If you really want a 3 seat sofa from one of the more important danish houses the you may want to consider fabric or buy at auction and re-cover.

9. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

It's just some thing you sit on. How much #craftsmanship does one really need. $17-$38k worth? Nah. I just like the way the PK31 looks.

SF: where anything less than a $17k couch is < witty sarcasm >a fine piece of craftsmanship</ witty sarcasm >

10. SkinnyGoomba

You're right, It'll go beautifully with a Rolox watch and a Baroni suit.

11. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Nah, I'm not a junior banker douche, so I don't wear stupid trinkets or dress like a goober.

12. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

13. SkinnyGoomba

Nice edit BB, see how quickly you reconsidered that knockoff.

Fwiw I don't think you need to spend $17k on a sofa, I just think a replica is a terrible way to get what you're looking for. Why appreciate the design but immediately discard the value of those creating it? A much more reasonable approach would be to pick a less expensive design.

14. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Good pt. I am actually thinking about the high backed lounge chair which isn't actually made any more, so that has been part of the influence leading me down the vintage route.

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  16. SkinnyGoomba

Deep, It's worth previewing auctions in my experience. For example, I was looking at a Hans Wegner peacock chair last night and the auction lists a split in one of the legs, but no picture of it. You could see that in person and also take note of how tight or loose the joinery is.

There are certainly exceptions to the above comment, such as a sought after maker than no longer produces a piece that is still in production elsewhere. Like some of the Hans Wegner chairs produced by Johannes Hansen, or Finn Juhl by Niels Vodder.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  17. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Thanks. 15k is still way more than I, as a renter in my twenties, would spend on a chair.

Thanks. I just skimmed the first site for a second and found this beautiful thing, which at 22k is out of my range.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded.

And while I'm not familiar enough with furniture to have an original vs repro discussion, from casually browsing various furniture threads Ive gathered that many people are of the opinion that 1) authenticity isn't a terribly accurate predictor of quality (anecdotally, I have a Herman Miller fiberglass shell chair from the 60s that is more or less indistinguishable from my Modernica repro fiberglass shell chair, while the licensed Eames chairs at Design Within Reach are awful plastic.) and 2) the people who designed these pieces died, and the designs patents ran out, long ago, making repros "ok".

Besides, while I'm not necessarily opposed to repros, a less expensive design is what I originally asked about in this thread anyway.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's including danish sales tax, which you don't pay, if you live outside of Europe.

It's more like 16,8 plus shipping, which should be around 500-1000$.

19. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

BB, I'm going to assume you don't appreciate art?