• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Hey all-

My wife is is looking for a narrow, vertical desk for our room. I have seen some cool modular type ideas in the past but nothing that stands out as very cool or differentiated. Anyone have any ideas for custom / modular type vertical small form desks?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you know the peaks I'm talking about. Don't be coy.
I'm gay and even I got that one. I think it was Vox who got me calling them headlamps.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lighten up, Francis. This thread has a great community of super helpful posters and great discourse that often includes some ribbing. If you’d like help, I’d suggest rephrasing what you are looking for.

You said the you’ve “seen some cool modular type ideas,” but these weren’t “very cool or differentiated” to you. Okay, so we know you’d prefer “very cool” over just regular “cool.” It would be helpful to understand what you find merely “cool,” so we can suggest some “very cool” alternatives. Do you have any examples of desks you’ve looked at and dismissed? We can’t give you any “differentiated” examples if we don’t have a baseline to differentiate from. While you’re at it, it also can be helpful to give a general style preference. This thread trends contemporary and modern, but some people prefer other styles. We’d like to be as helpful as possible.

I’m also guessing some people don’t know what you mean by “custom / modular type vertical small form desks.” It may help to provide a different description or maybe even an example. I’m kinda thinking you mean a ladder desk with shelves, but maybe you mean a sit/stand desk. Google doesn’t really give me an answer of what a vertical desk is.

Anyways, this thread likes Vitsoe and String System for modular desks that are generally narrow and allow for putting shelves above it, if that’s what you mean by vertical. I’ve even posted pics of my own String desk in this thread. I think both companies make “very cool” desks, but YMMV.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not funny and don’t you have anything else to do?

oh wait, you have no life since you made 15 posts this afternoon over an 8 hour span that were full of trolling comments...loser

You really should come join us in the CEsspool. :thumbs-up:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not funny and don’t you have anything else to do?

oh wait, you have no life since you made 15 posts this afternoon over an 8 hour span that were full of trolling comments...loser
Only 15? Damn, how will I ever catch up to piobaire if I can't even make 2 posts an hour.

And I still insist that horizontal surfaces are best for desks, but I will also accept slight inclines a la drafting tables.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I’d love to have the space for one of those beautiful old French drafting tables:

1611904773156.png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And how much time did you waste figuring this out... Loser

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d love to have the space for one of those beautiful old French drafting tables:

View attachment 1545021

I used to have a few old drafting tables, but once I stopped drawing I just couldn't justify the space required. I did love them though.

I don't really collect anything other than stuff I've stumbled across and liked over the years. It's pretty fluid/eclectic/willy-nilly with a few scores and some regrets. I've probably resold more than I've kept.

lefty

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My dad has a real cool old drafting table in the basement (mostly just acting as a shelf right now though).

Not anything beautiful or fancy, just a well used functional table, complete with the accessories like T square, parallel straightedge that runs up and down on wires, a big set of different acrylic triangles, old work lamp, etc.

I'd claim it used to belong to my architect grandpa but I don't know that that's true as it would have been an awfully large thing to move several states over in a vw bus...and I don't know why my grandpa would have owned his own table rather than having them in his various offices. For all I know, this table actually came out of a design department dumpster where my dad went to school.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I used to have a few old drafting tables, but once I stopped drawing I just couldn't justify the space required. I did love them though.

That’s the thing, I’m spending more and more time drawing, printmaking, and bookbinding and I’m doing it on whatever surface is available at the moment. I ***** and moan about the lack of space enough to irritate myself let alone my wife.

Here’s a nice piece of bookbinding kit that I’d buy if I had unlimited space:

35290E05-04A2-44CD-93C4-12608D2DFC97.jpeg

Reactions: RSS

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad has a real cool old drafting table in the basement (mostly just acting as a shelf right now though).

Not anything beautiful or fancy, just a well used functional table, complete with the accessories like T square, parallel straightedge that runs up and down on wires, a big set of different acrylic triangles, old work lamp, etc.

I'd claim it used to belong to my architect grandpa but I don't know that that's true as it would have been an awfully large thing to move several states over in a vw bus...and I don't know why my grandpa would have owned his own table rather than having them in his various offices. For all I know, this table actually came out of a design department dumpster where my dad went to school.

the big four-poster tables are the best to draw at, especially if you can get them to standing height. they don't really look great in a room (imo) but so functional

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads