• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

arnoldpettibone

Reaction score
Anyone recommendations on shipping services for shipping pieces of furniture across the US? I'm not looking for household moving services as it would only involve transporting a couple pieces. I'm aware of uShip and looking for alternative options.

i've used plycon off and on for about 10 years now. i've also used uship more recently

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got a new tree-like fig and need a larg'ish pot for it - about 34cm in diameter, but most pots I've found are either too small or they look pretty bad.

Any recommendations? The obvious counter question would be 'what style will it have to go with', but before getting into that, I'm open to all types of inspiration. An added plus if it's something available from within Scandinavia/Europe.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My decking and railings arrived today via ABF. ****. I won't have any weekends off for the next month.

emptym

Reaction score
^What'd you go with? We had a contractor come out last week to give an estimate on rebuilding our deck.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got a new tree-like fig and need a larg'ish pot for it - about 34cm in diameter, but most pots I've found are either too small or they look pretty bad.

Any recommendations? The obvious counter question would be 'what style will it have to go with', but before getting into that, I'm open to all types of inspiration. An added plus if it's something available from within Scandinavia/Europe.

I have this pot from Ferm Living, which is a Danish company, so you're good with availability. As you can see from the picture, it comes in a few sizes and can be flipped either way. The medium or large should work for your plant. It works indoors or outdoors. It's also not heavy, which is convenient for moving around.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 10.27.43 PM.png

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^What'd you go with? We had a contractor come out last week to give an estimate on rebuilding our deck.
It's an interlocking aluminum product which creates a fully dry space underneath, channeling rainwater out to the edge of the deck. We currently have a shed in the backyard, and this will allow us to move all that crap underneath the deck. The railings are a cable system.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with tempered glass stair railings? Seems like something that's best sourced locally, given the shipping weight and breakage.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i've used plycon off and on for about 10 years now. i've also used uship more recently

My concern with uShip was that I was getting mostly bids from guys with no shipping history. I also had a guy cancel on me and am waiting to see if I get anymore quotes over the next week. If not I'll probably just move forward with Plycon.

Plycon seems pricer, but I like that they offer full white glove service. It's an expensive item that I wouldn't want to see damaged.

emptym

Reaction score
It's an interlocking aluminum product which creates a fully dry space underneath, channeling rainwater out to the edge of the deck. We currently have a shed in the backyard, and this will allow us to move all that crap underneath the deck. The railings are a cable system.
Oh, really neat. And are you going to install it yourself? I figured it would be wood, since I knew you're skilled with that. We were just planning on redwood but the contractor suggested a waterproof deck (framed like a roof with a rubberized coating on top). It would be nice to have it be waterproof. Will the sides/edges be watertight too?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am building the whole thing. Wood would be easier in some respects, but I have zero interest in the maintenance of it. It will be about nine feet off the ground, open on two sides.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this pot from Ferm Living, which is a Danish company, so you're good with availability. As you can see from the picture, it comes in a few sizes and can be flipped either way. The medium or large should work for your plant. It works indoors or outdoors. It's also not heavy, which is convenient for moving around.

View attachment 1436756

Thank you, those could be an option, though I think they may get too high for the already rather high plant (which incidentally also is a ficus lyrata, like in the photo above, finally acting on some advice I got in this thread 6 years ago). And black is definitely an option, as my place has white walls and light grey floors (though they are painted wood, not concrete), also as above.

An option I've looked at is the Flower Pot from Hay in XXXL, which reaches the required 34cm at the top, but which is only 22cm inside at the bottom, so I think it'll be too small for my needs. It looks like this (they don't have drainage holes, so can be used without the saucer, which I prefer):

1596726114120.png

Had it worked, I would've gone with the black for the lyrata. I already have a few in the light grey, a couple of which sits unused, one holds a monstera and one holds an aloe vera, which was given away to a friend when it became too sprawling (the light grey was a great match for this).

For something quite different, I've also looked at this, which seems to have the right size at 34cm across:

1596726554145.png

- it also comes in a glazed grey, but I kinda like the honey coloured one. Hmm, maybe this dusty blue one is better.

Or something from Serax's Volumes series:

1596727964691.png

- a little more expensive than I would like, but this one seems to have a good size.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while, but I finally put these vintage chairs back together after I reupholstered the seats and sanded and repainted the back support/"handle".

Here's how they looked when I picked them up
1596740590713.png

Here's the finished result
117237284_612449462979318_585854298715311005_n.jpg

And here's how they look with everything else
117227272_379596236338509_6531659153210985823_n.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looking kitchen. Don’t know why folks were giving you so much **** about it earlier. Well I guess I know why, and it doesn’t have anything to do with the kitchen.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who offered input on kitchen counter backless stools. We found a pair designed by Arne Jacobsen and made by Fritz Hansen in Finland. They have leather seats and a metal frame. The simple design and neutral colors will be ideal with our decor. I like a leather seat and how it will take on a patina over time.

800x900-dot_high-jpg.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads