1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

The SF vetting process. :slayer:

Me: which lamp should i buy??

SF: The consensus is that you should either buy different drapes or a new house.

Me: Thanks SF, always helpful.

Lefty,

That house with the wavy roof and original Nakashima furniture that you like is up for sale still....move to Lambertville, we can be almost neighbors. You'll need me around for when the roof starts to leak and you need to find someone who can replace a wavy wood ceiling. I won't even include my new drapes in the bill, promise.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. lefty

lefty Senior member

3. SkinnyGoomba

oops, looks like someone got to the nakashima furniture already. Ashame, it was well suited to the house.

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

Wow, what a gorgeous house. It seems like a bargain price for the house and land.

5. otc

otc Senior member

Wait, so it sold in July, someone got rid of the baller furniture...and then doubled the price to put it back on the market 4 months later?

6. SkinnyGoomba

The previous owner may have sold the furniture or moved it, can't draw that conclusion with the info at hand. There was the option to buy it, if my memory serves me. They may have opted out.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

That furniture collection was probably worth 300-400K, maybe more. Seriously cool house. A Paul Evans fireplace? That's probably worth 100K if you could get it out.

lefty

8. SkinnyGoomba

Because it's not in the pictures....pretty easy. Unless they decided to leave it out of the photos. The saarinen table + eames chairs just does not have the same effect.

Hah, you ninja edit bastard.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yep.

I wouldn't be surprised if David Rago bought it, sold the furniture at his auction, and is trying to flip the house.

lefty

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

It used to be half the price? Please disregard my previous comment.

11. otc

otc Senior member

I don't think those past price listings are 100% accurate (since they often exclude certain things IIRC), but it says that it sold for $540k in July and $600something pre-bubble.

Now it is listed over a million...doesn't sound like any major renovations were done and it sounds like they got rid of the furniture...

12. Desi

Desi Senior member

Where is a good place to get replacement pads for Bertoia side chairs? The material doesn't actually matter as I find the price of leather for them to be almost prohibitory expensive at times.

13. SkinnyGoomba

They're expensive in leather, thats why you usually see them in vinyl. I can get them for you from Knoll, I would wait until knoll sale in Feb.

14. djh

djh Senior member

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

http://www.forth.fi/the-diy-bertoia-side-chair-renovation/

The measurements are there, so you can bring the pad to a upholstery shop and have them make one in leather or what ever you want.

1 person likes this.
  16. Calamity

Calamity New Member

Like those MCM chairs, but try searching for some Bob Mackie pieces...

17. SkinnyGoomba

Finn,

Good link, but I would not take their advice on welding the chairs. They are originally spot welded, which is why the weld does not appear to have any additional material added. My opinion, I think they should advise their readers to having them spot-welded again rather than TIg welded.

18. SkinnyGoomba

Just of few of my obsessions today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

Does anyone know who designed those chairs ? They were at my gf's grandparents house in the north of germany, and no one had any idea.
    [​IMG]