• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Eames is way too low in the back, doesn't support my shoulders, neck, or head - I'd probably get sick of it if I had it... but I too want one really badly. :eek:

racknac

Reaction score

I'll be sure to post a follow-up here when I receive it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have it before Christmas so I can sit back by the fire and enjoy a nice glass of scotch in it :D.

I trust you have obsessed over the genuine Eames chair enough to objectively point out any differences between the original and replica... below is a link to check a few of the more obvious differences.

http://jetsetrnv8r.wordpress.com/20...re-–-real-or-fake-eames-lounge-chair-ottoman/

likeaboss

Reaction score

I trust you have obsessed over the genuine Eames chair enough to objectively point out any differences between the original and replica... below is a link to check a few of the more obvious differences.
http://jetsetrnv8r.wordpress.com/20...re-–-real-or-fake-eames-lounge-chair-ottoman/

Indeed and I'll be sure to post here about how good of a "fake" it is. I do hope that some day I can get my hands on an original, but until then I will deal with my China replica.

Edit: Just want to add that I have full respect for the original Eames chair. I normally don't buy replicates and some day I hope to be able to pick up a nice vintage Eames lounger.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Friend just sent me pics of a turntable he built.

Isolation base:

Isolation platform:

Spindle only:

Before the arm mount:

Finished rig:

Details:
I have been acquiring VPI components a few years and the day has finally arrived. Having completed many commission pieces in the past I decided to construct a custom plinth and isolation base utilizing Gingko balls. Now that I have completed the project I decided to post a few photos. The final specifications of the turntable with the feet are, 21 ½ “ X 15 3/8" X 4 1/8" (W x D x H), not including the isolation platform. The table with the motor is quite massive at 63 ½ lbs. Once mounted on the platform a total of 76 ½ lbs., on the suspension balls.

lefty

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11514356.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can you guys justify buying an Eames that's a knock-off.

It's cheaper, and doesn't affect one's ability to sit in it.

It's akin to a fake Rolex in my book, represents someone making money off of some else's creative efforts. How you can support that is beyond me. Borrowing design concepts is one thing, but outright ripping off the design and using the idea that it's identical to the original is just offensive in my opinion.

I have a Herman Miller Eames lounge and ottoman in walnut and white Edelman all-grain, so I do stand behind my ideas with my wallet.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

It's akin to a fake Rolex in my book, represents someone making money off of some else's creative efforts. How you can support that is beyond me. Borrowing design concepts is one thing, but outright ripping off the design and using the idea that it's identical to the original is just offensive in my opinion.
I have a Herman Miller Eames lounge and ottoman in walnut and white Edelman all-grain, so I do stand behind my ideas with my wallet.

So you wouldn't wear any polo shirts made by companies other than Lacoste?

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by guest
yay or nay for this noguchi sofa for a feminine apartment? not mine btw.
colorsofa.jpg

if you find someone who works for the museum, you can get it for like 75% off. Almost had my friend buy me a coffee table.
which museum? I want a noguchi coffee table!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So you wouldn't wear any polo shirts made by companies other than Lacoste?

There are plenty of similar lounge chairs out there, but this is much mor like the Canal Street Lacoste polo.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't so much have a problem with imitating the design as I do with the quality of the product and the resale value. A new Eames chair may cost 8K but its resale value will be in that range 10-20 years down the road. A knock-off has negligible resale value and is more often than not poorly built.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't agree with the Rolex argument, since there are many watches that copy the design of a Rolex, with the exception of the name on the face, that would not be considered fakes or knock-offs. And whether you buy an authentic or knock-off Eames chair, someone will be profiting off of someone else's creative efforts, since both Charles and Ray have passed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics