• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lab/hound/shepherd mix that sheds a fair amount, and he will totally lay on this. Alternatives? Or ideas on how to keep it clean/clean it?
No idea how to clean them; they attract everything. I think they can be washed, but apparently vacuuming is not recommended because Flokati are thin-threaded but long-threaded, very "fluffy/shaggy", and the vacuum will grab the yarns (makes sense).

Your hound (I had 2 very similar) will wreak havoc on it in short order. Honestly I think it will be real trouble and a pita to keep clean.

Better a much tighter, flatter, hardier weave, such as the kilims I recommended above, in this (shedding pets) case.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No idea how to clean them; they attract everything. I think they can be washed, but apparently vacuuming is not recommended because Flokati are thin-threaded but long-threaded, very "fluffy/shaggy", and the vacuum will grab the yarns (makes sense).

Your hound (I had 2 very similar) will wreak havoc on it in short order. Honestly I think it will be real trouble and a pita to keep clean.

Better a much tighter, flatter, hardier weave, such as the kilims I recommended above, in this (shedding pets) case.
You're probably right. It pains me because I think it will be absolutely perfect for the spot I have in mind.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're probably right. It pains me because I think it will be absolutely perfect for the spot I have in mind.
Sure, but your hound will probably think so too, and rightfully so. If you can accept and live with that versus some sanitized version of real life then definitely get the flokati and both (all) of you enjoy it to the fullest. No harm no foul.

CHenry

Reaction score

What about vacuuming without using a electric-mechanical sweeper, suction only? Most decent vacuums have these floor attachments. They are recommended to avoid damaging fringes on fine orientals.

CHenry

Reaction score
I hope you don't have shedding pets, because while they can be comfortable especially flokati and even gabbeh rugs are a pita to keep clean.

You might also check out kilim.com.

Personally, not a fan of the tiger.
Gabbeh rugs are tough and stand up to mechanical sweepers pretty well. I have several around my home and they are not hard to keep clean, and they are used in my highest trafficked areas.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 146 33.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%