• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mujib

Reaction score
I need a dresser recommendation (closet system is not an option). What are my options at a decent price?

The HM Nelson dresser is nice, but it’s very small and expensive.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I need a dresser recommendation (closet system is not an option). What are my options at a decent price?

Find a local carpenter? Talk to @SkinnyGoomba? Someone should be able to take a design you like and make it bigger (and maybe not as expensive).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do some Vitsoe 606.

emptym

Reaction score
On a related note, my favorite source for cheap frames sucks now. I was in an Ikea recently and they didn't have real glass in any of their frames... Just cheap plastic...
I recently replaced all of the glass in our frames with some kind of acrylic. With kids and earthquakes, I decided I didn't want to risk having what I assume is untempered glass all over the house. What triggered it was that my son broke one, and I kept having visions of glass shards falling and slicing my kids' necks open.

Years ago at an estate sale, I saw what remains my favorite dresser ever. It was made of natural cherry wood with the sides and rear of the drawers exposed (fronts too, of course). So the dresser itself was just a frame. The maker was something like "J Designs." It was one of a few pieces not on sale. I've tried to find the maker or something similar, but haven't had any luck.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently replaced all of the glass in our frames with some kind of acrylic. With kids and earthquakes, I decided I didn't want to risk having what I assume is untempered glass all over the house. What triggered it was that my son broke one, and I kept having visions of glass shards falling and slicing my kids' necks open.

While I have no similar concerns about glass, good acrylic/plexiglass is totally fine (and actually costs more than normal framing glass).

But here I'm talking about the kind of **** plastic you could scratch with a rough fingernail...ugh.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good acrylic is nice stuff, I've used it for a lot of my framing and it's a little less nerve wracking for big frames.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with Tru Vue museum glass and their acrylic, non-reflective, UV protective option as well.

Mujib

Reaction score
Find a local carpenter? Talk to @SkinnyGoomba? Someone should be able to take a design you like and make it bigger (and maybe not as expensive).

It's hard to imagine a carpenter charging less.

Do some Vitsoe 606.

There's a showroom near me. I called them and gave them specs. They quoted me nearly 3K for four stacked drawers and a metal shelf on top.

Did you install yours? How are you liking it? All shelves?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Vitsoe is very easy to install and well worth the price. We use it in a few rooms for different things, including drawers as a dresser with a few shelves on top. The only thing to note is that the drawers are a bit shallow, so you'll want to make sure they provide you enough space.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Framed a good friend's artwork, it was in a black floater frame previously by a local framing gallery.

fullsizeoutput_3ca.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3cb.jpeg

IMG_9492.jpg

IMG_9489-954842700-1520111455608.jpg

Mujib

Reaction score
Very nice. What is the advantage to this kind of framing?

Mujib

Reaction score
PD_2195383_MAIN

Couldn't get out of getting the dresser, and now I'm also probably stuck with this. Thoughts (forgive the large pic)?

Anyone have experience with articulating headrests? What are the disadvantages?

The leather takes 17 weeks to ship, and there was no talking my wife into waiting, so it had to be this gray fabric. It has like a 29,000 Martindale rating, which is pretty low compared to some of the other fabrics. What is your experience with similar fabric?

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I judge a couch on how comfortable it looks for napping. I approve :fonz:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads