1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

It surprised me as well when I first found it, most lounge chairs are reclined more at 10-15 degrees. On my Tea House chairs I went for about 10 degrees since their footprint is relatively short.

2. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

There has always been something familiar about your style and I finally figured out what it is. You build all your furniture as if it were a Japanese temple.

Do you have a finish in mind for this chair or are you going to leave it as is?

3. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks Bounder! I received a comment from one of my fellow Japanese carpentry nuts who mentioned that the back profile looks like the older style temples, I hadn't intended it but I did start to see it after he mentioned.

I finished this one in blonde shellac, but the follow up chairs I will likely use oil. I've been thinking to try out Rubio Monocoat, Foo mentioned a while back and I took note. I like the fact that it is 'No VOC' which is nice and I believe it comes in various tones so it may also be available in a tone that keeps ash light.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Your chairs are amazing. True works of art. Thanks for sharing and keeping this thread interesting.

5. SkinnyGoomba

6. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

Of course you intended it. But you intended it organically. In other words, your furniture doesn't look like a Japanese temple because you set out to copy Japanese temples. Your furniture looks like a Japanese temple for the same reason that Japanese temples look like Japanese temples.

One of the key principles of Japanese Buddhism is casting aside false illusion and pretense. Japanese temples are constructed the way they are as an embodiment of this idea. A post holds the roof up and they do not hide it. Rather, they celebrate it with that uniquely Japanese combination of utilitarianism and craftsmanship.

It appears to me that you build your furniture in keeping with the same principle.

7. SkinnyGoomba

Thank you, I appreciate the thought you have put into your response. You've worded it better than I can, sometimes I have trouble describing the ethos of my work.

I do very much enjoy seeing the structure, I think it provides an insight to methodology along with an assurance.