• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My wife's favorite word is "itchy", so linen would never fly here. It's hard enough getting her to put percale on the bed - that only happens when it's over 80 degrees during the day. We sleep on flannel about 350 days a year, and have a single set of RL percale sheets for the hottest days of the year.

I've been happy with the mattress pads we got from Ikea.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's favorite word is "itchy", so linen would never fly here. It's hard enough getting her to put percale on the bed - that only happens when it's over 80 degrees during the day. We sleep on flannel about 350 days a year, and have a single set of RL percale sheets for the hottest days of the year.

I've been happy with the mattress pads we got from Ikea.
Flannel sheets would definitely result in divorce or murder in my household.

P.S. Nothing wrong with Ikea mattresses either . I have two in my house in Slovenia and they are simply great.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I buy extra firm every 10 years or so and put a memo pad on it that serves me the best. Memo pads are easily replacsable and inexpensive. I have had mattresses that cost 500USD and I had mattresses that cost over 20K none of them worked as well as the Extra Firm plus memo pad= Best combo for heat dissipation. I wish someone would engineer Temp-controlled bed.
Percale is godsend in any climate.

now there's an idea...

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now there's an idea...
I feel sleeping tech. has been neglected for far too long by industrial revolution :) How long do we have to sleep on wooden crates like our ancestors from 12 Century? Huge unexplored market niche, methinks.
/rant

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel sleeping tech. has been neglected for far too long by industrial revolution :) How long do we have to sleep on wooden crates like our ancestors from 12 Century? Huge unexplored market niche, methinks.
/rant

Here you go.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
USM Haller was not an option?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like the 606 system, but we're having floor-to-ceiling shelving, including cabinets, built by a very talented local carpenter, with cainet doors from a custom manufacturer in Montreal. If we didn't have the number of friends in the village who are such good woodworkers - we have another neighbour doing the Japanese joinery for our tatami room - we'd certainly have gone down the Vitsoe route.

flvinny521

Reaction score
No fitted sheets? GTFOHWTBS

My thinking was that the fitted sheets are usually the first ones to develop tears near the elastic, so by eliminating this, I could extend the life of my sheets. However, in practice, I am starting to realize that flat sheets are a pain **********. I think I'll buy two fitted linen sheets somewhere else and just alternate my flat sheets as a top sheet.

I recall IamMatt having recommended linen years ago (6-7 at least). I have not tried it, due to wifely resistance but have always wanted to. I believe the appeal is after it is washed many times it's quite soft.

This is true. I normally air dry my sheets after washing until they're only just barely damp, and then throw them in the dryer with no heat and a bunch of wool dryer balls. After about 3 washes, they were much softer than when brand new, and they get better each time.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do like the 606 system, but we're having floor-to-ceiling shelving, including cabinets, built by a very talented local carpenter, with cainet doors from a custom manufacturer in Montreal. If we didn't have the number of friends in the village who are such good woodworkers - we have another neighbour doing the Japanese joinery for our tatami room - we'd certainly have gone down the Vitsoe route.

built-ins can be great
but for sleek and minimal
vitsoe's hard to beat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics