Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

Do they compare with frette? I guess I am lazy & just do frette - don't have to think about anything.

2. otc

otc Senior member

I'm trying this linen thing out.

I've always liked percale (none of this ultra high thread count BS), and those sweethome recommended LL Bean sheets are perfectly nice.

But I recently changed bed sizes and needed new sheets. Found a clearance Macy's hotel collection linen fitted sheet and a Target house brand duvet cover... Always wanted to try linen and this was cheap.

So far... Not sure. I like them, but do I like them more than a nice crisp cotton percale? Or really, like $3x more? Also, I think they are going to be more prone to cat claw damage.

Still trying to get everything dialed in with the new mattress though. Have experimented with two different mattress pads/protectors and they have felt too hot. I don't need full on waterproof, but I need...something below the sheet to catch the stains. For my old mattress, I have a cheapo pad that doesn't really add noticable padding, but provides some protection without holding in heat/moisture... But the new version of that cheapo Target pad is a different material and I have woken up sweating (and the other options were too puffy). The waterproof protectors just seem like overkill, and the one I tried still seems warm.

3. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Would linen sheet be prone to wrinkling, twisting at night and imprinting it on your body? Linen does not have smooth surface ,so I would imagine turning during the sleep would be harder and your body would pull the linen sheet creating big wrinkles under you.
    One reason all my sleeping t-shirts are silk and sheets percale is to stay cool and to turn at night without much resistance.
    Now linen?

If you use memory foam pad use the cheapest one 2.5 inches and not very high density foam. The higher the density the higher is heat retention. I learned it the hard way. Had throw away my expensive memo pad and reorder cheap one from Overstock. Cheap one dissipates heat like a champ.

4. otc

otc Senior member

Ew, no memory foam toppers. Buy a mattress that you actually like instead of putting a bandaid on it. Your mattress should already have a layer of foam built in.

I just need something to protect my nice new mattress from...activities. The old pad just had a meaningless amount of poly fill and was otherwise just an extra between the washable sheet and the non-washable mattress.

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Yes, linen sheets will wrinkle. But so what? That's what linen does. The advantage to me is the same as linen clothes. It is breathable and cool.

I couldn't imagine sleeping in silk: while it feels cool initially, I always feel sweaty after wearing silk for more than a short period of time.

6. otc

otc Senior member

Silk is actually a pretty warm fiber...silk sleeping bag liners do a pretty good job extending their warmth.

The linen wrinkles, but it doesn't turn into a wrinkled mess. It isn't smooth and crisp, but it doesn't look like some sharp-creased twisted mess straight out of the washing machine.

I haven't noticed issues with it twisting/bunching...I mean if you make the bed tightly, the fitted sheet is going to stay flat. I don't use a flat-sheet so no comment there.

Still not 100% convinced it is worth it though. I need to get a better feel for my new mattress setup (like...maybe my new mattress is actually too-hot, not the pad I am putting on top?), but I dunno...I like the crispness of those percale sheets from LL Bean. Of course, I am also sleeping in an air conditioned apartment (it was 95 this weekend), so my opinion might differ if I were forced to sleep in a hot and humid environment.

7. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I buy extra firm every 10 years or so and put a memo pad on it that serves me the best. Memo pads are easily replacsable and inexpensive. I have had mattresses that cost 500USD and I had mattresses that cost over 20K none of them worked as well as the Extra Firm plus memo pad= Best combo for heat dissipation. I wish someone would engineer Temp-controlled bed.
    Percale is godsend in any climate.

8. Principle

Principle Senior member

IMG_7021.PNG IMG_7022.PNG

Does anyone here have experience with sofas offered on Vitra? These were the two we were looking at for our new space. Any input on material and construction would be appreciated.