• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dear God.

Is that a 4x4? Who -- or what -- is going to be sitting on this bench?

SG, you are developing an extremely distinct and recognizable visual style. I quite like it. Once we write you up some pseudo-intellectual blather about how your art is a visual representation of the will of marginalized peoples to resist the oppression of global warming or whatever, you will be quite collectible.

Haha, 12/4 mahogany finished to 2.75" square, I couldn't bare to cut it down, but ended up pretty happy with the heft.

Thanks for saying so, much appreciated. I could certainly use some copy, one of my good friends and I regularly joke about that sort of stuff. The write-ups are always entertaining.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha, 12/4 mahogany finished to 2.75" square, I couldn't bare to cut it down, but ended up pretty happy with the heft.

Thanks for saying so, much appreciated. I could certainly use some copy, one of my good friends and I regularly joke about that sort of stuff. The write-ups are always entertaining.

I just have to say, I love your blog buddy. I have no talent for woodwork or any other craft besides tinkering on motorcycles, but love seeing your enthusiasm and talent at work. Thanks for sharing.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just have to say, I love your blog buddy. I have no talent for woodwork or any other craft besides tinkering on motorcycles, but love seeing your enthusiasm and talent at work. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure of course, thanks for saying so! Much appreciated.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imo aubusson rugs are somewhat overlooked these days - if you're not familiar it's a french needlepoint technique. lots of different flavors. i might sniff around locally to see if any have personal appeal. even shipped might be a bargain, i see a few passed lots on live auctioneers.

as an aside, those tend to have a distinctly vintage continental flavor but maybe a nice counterpoint to the stridently modern.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That bench is awesome. I will try to copy it for my country house. It is perfect inside-outside piece.. Love the dovetail shape and edge finish. Is that pin joint for the stretcher is some sort of special type? I have seen mostly vertical drop-pins, not such horizontal wedge.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chet what happened to your post?

On the rug: though the juxtaposition can be nice, I think it is very hard to pick the right oriental rug to go with modern furniture. Generally, the more tribal and bigger the patterns the better.

I think that goes for modern rugs too. In many cases, the pattern is too busy and complex. For example, the CB2 rug you posted would be challenging, in my opinion.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback @mafoofan. We ended up deciding to go with the 1960s Persian Rug. I erased the post since there was no turning back at that point and so I didn’t want to hear it if I had made a terrible choice :)

I probably would have gone with something simpler and more contemporary if it were just up to me, but my wife really latched onto this one. I think we can make it work. Will try to post pics once we’re all moved in and set up.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback @mafoofan. We ended up deciding to go with the 1960s Persian Rug. I erased the post since there was no turning back at that point and so I didn’t want to hear it if I had made a terrible choice :)

I probably would have gone with something simpler and more contemporary if it were just up to me, but my wife really latched onto this one. I think we can make it work. Will try to post pics once we’re all moved in and set up.

How big was the carpet? Was it the one you had up in the picture?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, same one @Bounder. It's 10 x 13. Most of the other options were 8 x 10. For scale, here's a mockup of the space with an 8 x 10 rug (not the one we bought).

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 7.06.24 PM.png

Wider view -- the space in the foreground will be a dining area. It's basically just one big shoe box of a room.
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 7.07.35 PM.png

If the rug doesn't work out we'll put it in the bedroom (or on Craigslist).

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the rug. Does it make sense to have to walk past the sitting area to get to dining?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't have to @Joffrey. Probably hard to tell what's going on from the pics.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, same one
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 7.06.24 PM.png

@Bounder.

If the rug doesn't work out we'll put it in the bedroom (or on Craigslist).
I am confused, is Mafoofan your interior decorator or do you guys live together?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I should have seen that coming. Admittedly it looks like a poor man's copy of Mafoofan's place. Just one potential arrangement my wife mocked up. We'll experiment with others, though it seems pretty logical given the space and furniture we already have. Would welcome other ideas. I really don't know what I'm doing here and am trying to learn.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tough crowd. Not sure there's much room for novelty when arranging standard furniture in a rectangular room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads