1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. slide13

slide13 Senior member

finally had the chance to sit in a vintage fiberglass Eames shell chair. Surprisingly comfortable, now I want one. Checked out the new HM version and the new plastic versions are not as nice. Anybody have experience with the Modernica fiberglass ones? Supposed they are made with the original molds and everything. Also, the price for a chair with the eifel base is a good $100 less than the HM version.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

They look better than the plastic ones.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Apparently there's to two current plastic version vitra and HM, both made from the same mould (both makes the lounge as well)

Yes, the modernica is the original. the reason why they stopped making the fiberglass one back the day, was that they could reuse fiberglass and they could plastic.

No it's not, but a new one retails for over 10k$ here, so it's still a good difference and I really like some of the custom fabric ones i have seen (f.ex. green cord on house), so vintage ones is perfect, also I like my furniture to have patina.

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I was thinking of buying a Lava Lamp.

The ones sold in the US have tacky bases, and sometimes the liquid can get cloudy. The original lava lamps are hand spun and polished in the UK. They also have the more attractive violate/red combo, where as the US only has the violate/orange. They dont ship them to the US, and are wired for the UK.

UK:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

US:
    [​IMG]

I would have to get it rewired for the US, which would cost about $30. Or I could use a converter, which I have read wastes lots of electricity. I called a local lamp store and was assured that if I got it rewired for the US, it would produce the same amount of heat. Is this true? Anything I should be concerned about?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  5. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

Lava's are cool

I'm looking for a stabile (mobile on a base, want ~12" high by 16-20" wide

found these
    http://www.frithmobiles.com/

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT]

6. Love2Shop2

Love2Shop2 New Member

The best way to have these types of items shipped is usually provided by the seller. Sometimes, they make you get your own shipper. I am not sure what greyhound is, although I have heard of items being shipped that way. FedEx has a new service called Custom Critical, where they ship framed and unframed pieces of fine art and museum quality pieces. I do not know how their prices are, though. Many collectors use trucking companies, such as Yellow, which can be very pricey. If you live in the same city where the seller is located, you can often hire a private person with a truck to deliver it for you, such as if you live in Long Island and you buy something from New York City. You can contact antique dealers local to you, and ask them what their experience has been with shipping companies, and if they can recommend someone for you to use.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Lava Lamp? Really guys?

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Jump off something tall.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No. Not really

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  11. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

gents what are your thoughts on this built in piece around the TV? I'm going to have a tv hanging on the wall in my new bedroom and am considering something like this.
    [​IMG]

12. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Does the piece have a function? From the picture, it just looks like a large wooden frame that isn't necessarily even built-in. My preference is for most pieces to be highly functional, so I'm predisposed not to like it. I don't think it adds much to the overall appearance of the room in the picture you've provided. It could be different in your particular room, though.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Would look 10x better with just the white console cantilevered on the wall, and none of that dark frame

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

It visually pushes the TV away from you as well as overwhelms it leaving you with a lessened viewing experience. Not sure why you would want that.

lefty

15. otc

otc Senior member

Save the big TV on the wall in front of the bed for hotel rooms which is what that thing looks like.

Watching TV in bed isn't really good for you anyways.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My personal preference is either no TV in the bedroom or to have the monitor tastefully hidden or at least de-emphasized through placement.

17. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

+1

I have a desk in my room and I just close the laptop when I am not using it. Last time I watched TV in my room I was in high school, I use the library now. lol

18. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

you're right, it does look like a hotel room. and it is entirely functionless, other than blocking viewing from other areas of the room (something i actually want to avoid). thanks for the feedback yall. still not entirely sure what my tastes are and what i like so i tend to get wowed when i think something looks a little snazzy with clean lines. i do appreciate the thought of ensuring everything serves a function and will keep that in mind.
    now that we're on the topic of bedrooms, how about this bedframe? i'm doing a complete refresh, getting rid of my current boxspring, old desk (not replacing), and built in shelving will stay in the old room, so will need new book shelves and perhaps dresser like the one above underneath television.
    thoughts on this west elm (on sale)?:
    [​IMG]

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

+1

I would get "a good looking" tv instead of putting all sorts of stuff around it.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

It may need that floor to work well.

lefty