1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Is his first name George?

Don't know. He's the husband of a friend of my wife. Do you know a cabinet maker named George?

lefty

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Don't know. He's the husband of a friend of my wife. Do you know a cabinet maker named George?
    Yes - his wife's name is Stefania, he's in Bklyn and he made a piece for us recently

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yes - his wife's name is Stefania, he's in Bklyn and he made a piece for us recently

Different guy, then. Were you happy? Any pics?

I'm hoping for one of those big slab tables. Stupidly, I didn't buy Nakashima when I could have.

Have you ever made it out to the Rago auction in Lambertville, NJ? It's worth a trip to see the Modern preview where they usually have a ton of Nakashima, Esherick, Evans, etc. They're having a Discovery sale on the 24th and you can pick up some interesting things if you're lucky.

You can also make a day of it and visit Nakashima's old workshop in PA which is pretty cool.

lefty

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Quite happy - simple piece but pretty chunky (12' long, low bookshelf) using reclaimed beams, no staining or repairs - just minimal water-based conditioning. No pics yet but one day will get to take some pics of our place for the crib thread.

Never been to Lambertville - thanks for the suggestion

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quite happy - simple piece but pretty chunky (12' long, low bookshelf) using reclaimed beams, no staining or repairs - just minimal water-based conditioning. No pics yet but one day will get to take some pics of our place for the crib thread.

Never been to Lambertville - thanks for the suggestion

We make it out there quite a bit, so I'll drop you a note the next time we go if you want to hitch a ride.

lefty

6. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

Max Lamb chair (bronze cast from polystyrene)
    [​IMG]

7. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

That's actually rather nice.

Looks like something I would make (or well...like something I would envision myself making).

Would love to have one on my non-existent patio...almost to the point where I am thinking about saving the picture and hoping I find it 10 years from now and it inspires me...

Thanks guys. He's built some of their indoor furniture too: bookshelf, bed, etc.

8. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

Marc Quinn 'Mountain Chair'
    [​IMG]

A current favourite for me -- carbon fibre table (with steel legs) by Terrence Woodgate
    [​IMG]

9. SField

SField Senior member

Thanks guys. He's built some of their indoor furniture too: bookshelf, bed, etc.

I like the industrial look, for outdoor furniture it looks quite high end. A nice alternative to elabroate wrought iron. If I still had an outdoor balcony with room I'd look at something like that.

10. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

^Interesting, thanks. He, and you, would know more about furniture than I would. His indoor stuff doesn't have the exposed bolts, though stuff he made for his apt in Brooklyn yrs ago did.

11. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

DS-51 from de Sede
    [​IMG]

Cabinet made from black or white glass from Draenert
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. nootje

nootje Senior member

now thats a cabinet I like [​IMG]

13. spertia

spertia Senior member

I too am really feeling that cabinet. A lux sideboard is something that has always been missing from my collection. I like the Paul Evans mirrored ones from the '70s.

14. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

The stuff he designed for Directional is ok (patchwork mirror, metal, wood), but overpriced due to the popularity of his fabulous studio pieces (the heavy brutalist metal stuff), which are now selling in the six figures. Same with Parzinger & James Mont, etc...prices have gone completely nutso. Another iconic, but still attainable sideboard is Milo Baugman's olive wood butterfly veneered one, with the floating look. Vintage Pace & Brueton are nice too. And there's tons of Scandinavian designs, names and no-names for very reasonable prices out there. My personal crush is a vintage Phillip & Kelvin LaVerne piece. They aren't, and never were "cheap, but a bargain for what they are...essentially functional bronze sculpture.

15. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

^ great taste you guys have [​IMG]
    I like Paul Evans heavy metal furniture. Milo Baugman did some beautiful things too.

Here is an interesting sideboard by Steven Holl.
    [​IMG]

16. binge

binge Senior member

17. nootje

nootje Senior member

gheghe, imagine yourself walking into that room when youre completely wasted [​IMG]

18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

gheghe, imagine yourself walking into that room when youre completely wasted [​IMG]
    Heh, Verner Panton FTW.

19. Reckoner

Reckoner Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing my bedroom and need ideas for bedroom + wardrobe.

This is something I currently have in mind:

[​IMG]

This picture will probably be near and dear to the hearts of many on this forum.

Anybody have any ideas?

20. $unny

$unny Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing my bedroom and need ideas for bedroom + wardrobe.

This is something I currently have in mind:

[​IMG]

This picture will probably be near and dear to the hearts of many on this forum.

Anybody have any ideas?

poliform

california closets