Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

A) That's fucking awesome. For you guys who are trying for the Restoration Hardware/Pottery Barn look, that's how you do it. B) 2 Dishwashers? 3) Why are the ovens so far away from the stovetop? (side note: I've never been very good at indexing)
    Thanks. Agreed, the ovens are not ideal there. You have to carry stuff over. Behind those cupboards to the right of the oven is the "baking station", which has all the Cuisinarts and crap. The doors are pocket doors that fold in, and you can work over there. But in practice we bake much less than we use the ovens for other stuff. So, the placement doesn't work as well as it did in theory. Yes, multiple dishwashers is key for entertaining. On Thanksgiving, I wish I had six. The stainless drawers to the left of the dishwasher are refrigerator drawers. They are good for milk and drinks and stuff.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

We also have a second kitchen for overflow/entertaining. It's by the bar/TV/pool table/hangout area. As a kitchen, it's useful basically only on holidays when lots of people are over. But on a day to day basis, it's mostly just used for refrigerating drinks. There are no windows, which kind of sucks. It wasn't really "designed," just intended to be functional for what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok, either your wife is Martha Stewart, or you have a HUGE fucking family. What the hell do you do with all that space?

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nice kitchen. I haven't seen a low island like that before witht he seating at the end, rather than bar height with stools. That's a lot of table seating for one kitchen - do you have a lot of children?

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

when I was a kid and my parents were house shopping, a lot of the houses we looked at had at least two dishwashers in the kitchen, for religious reasons.

7. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Here's our kitchen. Sorry for the clutter, it's well lived-in.

It was sort of designed around the butcher block, which forms part of the T-shaped island.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the kitchen. The T island is nice when you have that large of a space to work in. I am not sure if you have enough knives. [​IMG]

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

A) That's fucking awesome. For you guys who are trying for the Restoration Hardware/Pottery Barn look, that's how you do it.
    I love that kitchen, but calling it "trying for the RH/PB look" is an insult.

9. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

[​IMG]
    Great job! However, you seem to entertain a lot, you really should invest in more knives.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I love that kitchen, but calling it "trying for the RH/PB look" is an insult.
    I don't think so. I happen to like that look when its done well and I think its done well there. Those companies are successful for a reason you know.

11. 660

660 Well-Known Member

inorite? Anyway, I got my wife to email me a few pics so that there would be light.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are some oddities, since when we bought the place it was three rooms with two different window styles and heights, but it can take a beating, and has stayed in really good shape for the length of time we have had it, and the amount we eat at home.

Very nice kitchen, the flooring looks interesting, can't recognize it from the pictures, what is it?

We are in the progress of refurbing our 1950s kitchen that is beautiful but very impractical. Try fitting a modern fridge or a dishwasher in to a 1950s kitchen! So I am looking for any kind of inspiration and input that I can get at the moment. Matt's and gdl's kitchens are beautiful and really great inspiration!

I think that the nicest kitchen I have seen so is from Danish www.unoform.dk and their "classic" kitchen line, I also do like the the Siematic BeauxArts kitchen with the chinosiere fridge Fred 49 posted earlier in the thread, though I think that it might be a bit too "north american" which in other words means a bit tacky and OTT, and that the original Siematic's 6006 kitchen probably would suit our house and needs better and also that the 6006 quality seems better from what I've seen from the showrooms.

So far I've also really liked German bulthaup, probably my over all favourite so far, Italian boffi and varenna do some beautiful models, Swedish kvanum also has some nice ones in their modern range and Finnish Saari also has one model that looks like I would be happy with it.

12. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Oh, I also like the look of Henry Built kithchens, but haven't had the opportunity to see these live though so far. So any feedback would be welcome.

13. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

iammatt, the suspended dishwasher nozzle, over the sink ... too many kitchens lack it

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

ZJ,

That's a serious kitchen, very nice. I know where you are coming from with all of that seating. I have a ton of relatives, easily each gathering is 20-30 people which can be a handful if everyone has a setting. We could certainly have more, but are usually constrained on serving ability.

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

iammatt, the suspended dishwasher nozzle, over the sink ... too many kitchens lack it

nice avatar. mccarthy?