• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The house isn't old. It is actually much newer than my previous house. The house is actually a pretty boring "transitional" design which is probably a friendly way to say it has no real design. We have hired an architect to redo the great room and kitchen for both functional and design improvements.

My primary concern with something like the Danish designs is it will make the space look out of place. The house isn't modern and isn't ever going to be modern. If anything it will be more of a craftsman style when done.

I understand those chairs I posted are reproductions and aren't great. That's why I was asking the distinguished members of this forum for ideas, and I wanted to provide a starting point. I don't like faux aging, patina, etc. I want something with a wood frame and an upholstered seat and perhaps back as well. Again, I like some of the Danish designs, but I don't want the open great room to be overwhelmed by a very modern design, so I do appreciate the two examples you gave (though I don't like the seat material on the first one).

If you are into Arts and Crafts (craftsman) you may want to consider buying from an Auction house....you can have your pick, it's very typical for anything other than the most famous work from the A&C period to go for very low prices.

Arts and Crafts is out of favor, at the moment, but that doesn't make it bad.

The nice thing about modernism is that is really very easy to work with, which IMO is the reason why it has remained popular for so long. You can also still buy it new without having to contract a maker with exception to some pieces which are better off made by a maker. For that luxury people are paying a premium for it.

Same reason why Nakashima remains very popular, it's easy to work with. Put in a white box and it makes the room, put it in an A&C house...perfect...and many other extremes.

brokencycle

Reaction score

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Chair is pretty awesome, but you'll have to budget about $2500/ea for those, if you're looking for antiques. No idea what they sell for new, but presumably more.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The Chair is pretty awesome, but you'll have to budget about $2500/ea for those, if you're looking for antiques. No idea what they sell for new, but presumably more.

Now let's make it 1/6 that.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now let's make it 1/6 that.

I've been shopping for dining chairs for months. The only thing I'm certain of is that I will eventually pay about 3x more than I originally anticipated. It's a painful process.

My wife is pretty set on the Jens Risom side chair in walnut with steel blue webbing. https://www.knoll.com/product/risom-side-chair

We may pull the trigger, but holy hell chairs are expensive. I'm 35 and this is the first time I've had to buy one.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my view, having vintage-style chairs with a glass table is both aesthetically incoherent and frankly quite jarring. Since you already have a modern glass table in an old house, why not commit fully to the aesthetic and buy complementary, modern chairs?

If you do insist on old fashioned chairs, I would steer clear from those imitation-vintage designs. They look half-hearted and generic. Something with a bit of authenticity, history, or craftsmanship would hold its own much better against a very modern table, if you're after that kind of juxtaposition.

Based on the Skinny's suggestions that you like the most, you seem to be after something with quite a rustic quality. Is that accurate? If so, is there a particular reason? (Is the house arts & crafts style or fairly rustic?)

lol on one hand you have somebody saying that modern is "easy to work with" and here you have a slavish adherence to the catalog. which is it?

BC have you considered patio furniture? there's lots of enameled wrought metal chairs out there, new and vintage.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I apologise for doing a bit of a "hit and run" on the topic of ukiyo-e - I have not been well, and just got out of the hospital with at least month of convalescence to look forward to. :(

Very sorry to hear, hope for a speedier recovery!

I've been shopping for dining chairs for months. The only thing I'm certain of is that I will eventually pay about 3x more than I originally anticipated. It's a painful process.

My wife is pretty set on the Jens Risom side chair in walnut with steel blue webbing. https://www.knoll.com/product/risom-side-chair

We may pull the trigger, but holy hell chairs are expensive. I'm 35 and this is the first time I've had to buy one.

This is very accurate, and true for furniture in general. I found it shocking when I first started looking for furniture and realized the cost of something well made, and more surprising was the cost of something not that well made.

Then again the first real piece of furniture I ever looked at was a minguren desk in exotic wod....so....

Nine Miler

Reaction score
First post in this thread-

I had an old teak patio set that was damaged, I took it apart and repurposed some of the wood into a coffee table. I still have several more coats of varnish to lay down, but I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I thought I would drop it here, as I think it's pretty cool.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First post in this thread-

I had an old teak patio set that was damaged, I took it apart and repurposed some of the wood into a coffee table. I still have several more coats of varnish to lay down, but I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I thought I would drop it here, as I think it's pretty cool.

Varnish?!? Where's your SF pride? French polish or go home.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a private showing of this and a few other things tonight.

Goddamn, this thing is beautiful. Not sure it's worth the 500K they're hoping for but could fetch 300K+ to the right person.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
congamewin79