Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

These are not full kitchens, are they? They seem to be the counter/island sections of a kitchen. Where are the fridge, oven(s), etc...?

Hard to compare.

let me re-awaken my notion of witty concept but poor user design. I see it in those kitchens.

2. RJE

RJE Senior member

3. SField

SField Senior member

That's definitely not a kitchen for someone that cooks. Almost no space. Looks like lego.

Also completely uninspiring to me... I wouldn't want to cook there.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

A friend of mine brought one of these lines over from Italy some years ago. He thought, when speaking honestly, that they were basically for a big room in which one would entertain, serve drinks, maybe hors d'ouvres, but not really a kitchen.

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

"looks cheap" ... good trolling [​IMG]

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

"looks cheap" ... good trolling [​IMG]

Yes, as opposed to wood laminate-faced cabinets. And radiators with chipping paint. But, hey, that sprezzatura has got to cost extra.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

They are studio kitchens..not ment to be taken as residential use kitchens. They show product uses and design possibilities. I was hoping that you could show me a photo of a kitchen you thought looked great ....not your own kitchen.[​IMG] You didn't like what you saw and I wanted to see what you think is wonderful.
    Ah, got it. Ok, I googled "beautiful kitchens" and all other assorted verbs and here are my top 5 pics from images (in no partular order): 1)[​IMG] cool in a rustic, modern sort of way, although I'm not sure if that's a microwave on top of the fridge. If so, why? 2)[​IMG] I dig this wood/white ultra modern thing. kind of cool. chairs suck though.[​IMG] 3)kind of a modern thing. i dig the long island/dining room table design. chairs still suck. 4)[​IMG] never seen an island/wine storage thing before. like this open design with the office built-in. 5)[​IMG] I know you're fond of bright colors. personally, I think that green looks a bit vomit-esque, but I like the contrast with the dishes and cabinets. another in the same color-contrast vein: [​IMG] this one is just fucking cool. when do you ever see a two-level island? [​IMG] And if you're going to do the Restoration Hardware look I kind of liked this one: [​IMG]
    No one who is as judgmental as rambo is going to put himself out there, now is he? [​IMG]
    HEY! Not judgmental, just opinionated.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

a chalkboard kitchen wall is one of my little projects this year.

They make chalkboard paint. You should check it out. I have magnetic paint from the same maker and much to my surprise it actually works quite well.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

They make chalkboard paint. You should check it out. I have magnetic paint from the same maker and much to my surprise it actually works quite well.
    Really? Never heard of that before (the chalkboard, not the magnetic).

11. nootje

nootje Senior member

numbers two and four that Rambo showed work for me. Especially the wine storage below the counter is something I will look into when i move..

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

numbers two and four that Rambo showed work for me. Especially the wine storage below the counter is something I will look into when i move..
    That island thing is cool isn't it? I'd have to assume its got temperature control since its so close to the sink. Although, i don't see a switch for a disposal, so there might not be power running through there.

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I have learned that kitchens are tricky.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I have learned that kitchens are tricky.
    I keep telling you that you're not supposed to point the knives with the sharp edges facing out.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I like my kitchen.

I freakin' love your kitchen. Told Lish that I wanted one just like it someday. [​IMG]