Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Something I forgot to point out is the sliding doors on either side of the range. They can be closed and hide all the cooking stuff. They are made of marble and slide side to side.

2. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Well that doesn't make too much sense to me. I wouldn't want to turn around and throw pots in the island sink - one, it will drip everywhere on the wood floors; two, this is the central island that's set up for guests to sit and have a drink while the meal is being prepared - I'm not throwing a stack of pans under their nose [​IMG]

I don't mind prepping away from the range on the island, as you explained, but the main sink location bothers me more. Why not put a pot-filler above the range for that purpose?

Dont know. This guy put the pot filler in a prep sink with a disposal (good idea for the way I cook and throw stuff away.

3. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I really hate prep sinks without the disposal

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I really hate prep sinks without the disposal

which is part of the reason I don't like the layout (I'm not talking about the look, which I think is generally fine). It isn't the most people friendly set-up. Lemme dig up pictures of a kitchen that I really like...

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dont know. This guy put the pot filler in a prep sink with a disposal (good idea for the way I cook and throw stuff away.

But then gome is right - it just doesn't work. If food is prepped on the island as you suggested, then the prep sink should be there. And the larger sink for pots and pans should be as close to the range as possible. I don't know- I guess everyone cooks differently.

6. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

which is part of the reason I don't like the layout (I'm not talking about the look, which I think is generally fine). It isn't the most people friendly set-up. Lemme dig up pictures of a kitchen that I really like...

Ok I would agree with you guys the main sink should have been on the wall. Better presentation of food without the dirty dishes. [​IMG] But the general look of the kitchen appeals to most.

7. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

It seems to be the utility that is bothering you most of all?

8. gdl203

We're nit picking here. It looks pretty damn good.

9. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

here is a kitchen, which IMO, had a very well done layout with not a whole lot of space. You have counter space, full working sink, prep space, stove, more prep space ... and then on the other side it's all cabinets and a counter, then the ovens, with an out-of-the-way dish rinser sink and dishwasher, then the firdge (IMO the placement of this is not my favorite but it seems to work out really well, and another prep area. In the end, the sink, ovens, fridge, and stove are all within one foot pivot of each other where there is plenty of space for storage and prep. At the time we literally had 8 to 10 people in the kitchen doing stuff and yet we weren't stepping on each other toe's.

Looking from one side down the island:
    [​IMG]

and then looking the other way down the island (not my picture - duh):
    [​IMG]

**and yes, the dude has a very quarky style.

11. gdl203

Don't like the range on the island, sorry. Those hoods also just don't work very well.

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

a chalkboard kitchen wall is one of my little projects this year.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

It seems to be the utility that is bothering you most of all?

yeah, it's stuff like that I've come to notice the most. And while I hate the look of that fridge, the non-utility parts are fine. I really like the floors, actually. And I like marble.

14. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

15. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Don't like the range on the island, sorry. Those hoods also just don't work very well.

I am not a fan of island ranges and vent either. I have scars on my forhead from some very stylish vent hoods with lots of sharp corners. The guy in the pic is using his head and has a nice soft glass edge on his vent hood. I dont like glass because it is a bitch to clean all the time.