Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I'd want a SZ to balance the Wolf range there on the left, and bring more ss into the overall picture. My personal preference. I am generally not a fan of built-in fridges either.

Would you want the dishwasher shown in stainless also?

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Work in progress.

[​IMG]

Did you recently get your own place? If so, congrats.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I don't mind parts of that kitchen (the floors, the basic cabinets, the light cove), but I don't really like the layout. The part that you would presumably be using the most (the stove) has very limited usable counter space around it, so you'd be prepping food at the other corner of the kitchen before bringing it over to the stove area ... which is at the opposite corner of where the fridge is. You could (and perhaps should have everything ready to go from the fridge before you start cooking, but that isn't next to the stove either. The closest place with a decent amount of room is where the bar stools are (which I do not like), so you'll have to use one of the ends to get a little space if you have any guests around, but then it means anything on the pot rack is unaccessible - which, wait ... why is the entire pot rack AND island off center from the light cove while the far cabinets are fine????

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So you would like a more consistant look?
    I would
    Would you want the dishwasher shown in stainless also?
    Not necessarily. Depends where it is and what the balance of wood and steel looks like but I'd have a small bias not to show it. I think having a prominent fridge and range in a kitchen is normal and consistent with the idea that this is where food is prepared and cooked - hence my preference for showing the fridge. I don't feel that the dishwasher fits in that concept in the same way. I'm happy to hide it.

5. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

This is a shot of the long view
    [​IMG]

6. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I think the kitchen works pretty well. Open the fridge put food on table prep as your moving down the counter to the range. I like it. It would work for me and how I cook.

7. gdl203

It gives me a little bit of a Restoration Hardware vibe with the faux Chinese antique and repro holophane lamps. The extra long hood there is a bit odd - not bad per se. The main sink next to the range looks tiny though.

8. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

It gives me a little bit of a Restoration Hardware vibe with the faux Chinese antique and repro hollophane lamps. The extra long hood there is a bit odd - not bad per se. The main sink next to the range looks tiny though.

The sink next to the range is small and made for preping and filling the pots and pans. The main sink in in the island

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

designed by a developer, no?

10. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

along with the hidden dishwasher[​IMG]

11. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

designed by a developer, no?

No

12. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

The majority of developers wouldn't take a chance like this. They want to appeal to the masses.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

an architect suggested the off center island and pot rack? Maybe dating one for so long as made my cynical to this type of stuff. I've heard people being chewed out because the air brushing on some steel was done in the wrong direction.

14. gdl203

The sink next to the range is small and made for preping and filling the pots and pans. The main sink in in the island

Well that doesn't make too much sense to me. I wouldn't want to turn around and throw pots in the island sink - one, it will drip everywhere on the wood floors; two, this is the central island that's set up for guests to sit and have a drink while the meal is being prepared - I'm not throwing a stack of pans under their nose [​IMG]

I don't mind prepping away from the range on the island, as you explained, but the main sink location bothers me more. Why not put a pot-filler above the range for that purpose?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

The kitchen is fine. It has some mis-matched items, some lack of balance or uniformity but all in all, most people would be jealous of that kitchen. I would just try and bring some uniformity to the whole area, i.e. have all moldings, door fronts, hadware, etc. match. Basically pick something and run with it vs. trying to mash different styles together. Also, the sink choices are questionable. Pot filler for sure on the stove.

Edit: Oh, this is the most creative bit of spamming I've seen in a long time.