1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

"looks cheap" ... good trolling [​IMG]

Yes, as opposed to wood laminate-faced cabinets. And radiators with chipping paint. But, hey, that sprezzatura has got to cost extra.

2. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

They are studio kitchens..not ment to be taken as residential use kitchens. They show product uses and design possibilities. I was hoping that you could show me a photo of a kitchen you thought looked great ....not your own kitchen.[​IMG] You didn't like what you saw and I wanted to see what you think is wonderful.
    Ah, got it. Ok, I googled "beautiful kitchens" and all other assorted verbs and here are my top 5 pics from images (in no partular order): 1)[​IMG] cool in a rustic, modern sort of way, although I'm not sure if that's a microwave on top of the fridge. If so, why? 2)[​IMG] I dig this wood/white ultra modern thing. kind of cool. chairs suck though.[​IMG] 3)kind of a modern thing. i dig the long island/dining room table design. chairs still suck. 4)[​IMG] never seen an island/wine storage thing before. like this open design with the office built-in. 5)[​IMG] I know you're fond of bright colors. personally, I think that green looks a bit vomit-esque, but I like the contrast with the dishes and cabinets. another in the same color-contrast vein: [​IMG] this one is just fucking cool. when do you ever see a two-level island? [​IMG] And if you're going to do the Restoration Hardware look I kind of liked this one: [​IMG]
    No one who is as judgmental as rambo is going to put himself out there, now is he? [​IMG]
    HEY! Not judgmental, just opinionated.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

4. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

a chalkboard kitchen wall is one of my little projects this year.

They make chalkboard paint. You should check it out. I have magnetic paint from the same maker and much to my surprise it actually works quite well.

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

They make chalkboard paint. You should check it out. I have magnetic paint from the same maker and much to my surprise it actually works quite well.
    Really? Never heard of that before (the chalkboard, not the magnetic).

6. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

numbers two and four that Rambo showed work for me. Especially the wine storage below the counter is something I will look into when i move..

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

numbers two and four that Rambo showed work for me. Especially the wine storage below the counter is something I will look into when i move..
    That island thing is cool isn't it? I'd have to assume its got temperature control since its so close to the sink. Although, i don't see a switch for a disposal, so there might not be power running through there.

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

I have learned that kitchens are tricky.

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I have learned that kitchens are tricky.
    I keep telling you that you're not supposed to point the knives with the sharp edges facing out.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

I like my kitchen.

I freakin' love your kitchen. Told Lish that I wanted one just like it someday. [​IMG]

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Looks Smallbone of Devizes to me. In any event - not cheap.

The original question was

I would like to get some ops on this kitchen. I think it is very cool but want feedback. Feel free to be picky. I wont give you a price as shown so dont ask. I am looking for feedback on just the LOOK alone.
    so wetter it's insanely expensive or from home depot, as it' not relevant to the question.

Let me explain why I don't like them.

The white one, if you look at the celling and the window the room looks modern and it's probably a new house with modern architecture or a showroom made to look like a new house, so it just seems wrong to put a kitchen like that in it with those design lines, at least in opinion.

The flat paint looks cheap to me, the cabinet next to the stove for some reason looks like plastic to me, so it just have a cheap feel to me, but it's entirely based on that one picture, as I have no hands on experience with the product.

The Orange one, I really hate orange on any thing that isn't a fruit or an expensive Italian car, I grew up in a house where some halfwit had painted our Vola luminaires bright orange and I always hated it and yellow/orange has always been you to show this is cheap, so I have pre form opinion on that colour, which ruined it for me.

The black one is fine it just reminds of a Boffi kitchen I saw a while back, and it has the same kind of wall cabinets a the Valcucine everyone doesn't like

let me re-awaken my notion of witty concept but poor user design. I see it in those kitchens.

It's a show kitchen made to show, what they can do and not be placed in a home, I've seen their stuff in a house and it works very well, the person who had it had chosen regular wall cabinets instead of the sliding one.

Everyone has their one style and taste some like Ferrari some like Porsche and some like Kia and it's the same with kitchen and clothes and thank god for that, it would be so boring if everyone looked a like and had the same things, especially if everyone looked like Sooki and The Situation

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I prefer kitchens with cabinetry that reaches the ceiling.

Having extra cabinets and no place for oily dust to accumulate far outweighs the fact that you may not be able to reach them without a stool and that you now have nowhere to display your shitty knick-knack vases.

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I like my kitchen.

pics?

14. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

It's a show kitchen made to show, what they can do and not be placed in a home, I've seen their stuff in a house and it works very well, the person who had it had chosen regular wall cabinets instead of the sliding one.

got it, this makes a difference.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I don't mind the aesthetics of the Valcucine ones - actually like the lacquer/aluminum combos enough. They just don't seem well displayed IMO for people who have kitchen they actually use to cook things. The oven inside a sliding (or regular) cabinet is particularly ridiculous (and potentially dangerous). It just doesn't make any sense at all.

16. Fred49

Fred49 Well-Known Member

^he wanted comments based on the pictures and look alone, price and quality doesn't always match, I know of a bunch of furniture and clothing firms that charges way above what their product is worth, just because they can and I'm sure you do as well.

I like stuff like this

Sorry in advance for the huge pictures[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like them too. Schiffini is a good brand. Valcucine is not a brand I would buy. At their showroom in Milan their display was falling apart. I think that they are a better idea than kitchen.
    I have experience with both of the brands I showed you above and they may be ugly examples of studio kitchens but they are far from cheap in how they are manufactured. As a matter of fact I would put them up against Schiffini and Valcucine in quality any day of the week.

17. Fred49

Fred49 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the huge repost guys. I do like the pics[​IMG]

18. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

we're planning on using the Benjamin Moore chalkboard paint. seems like a good way to add a little character to our tiny kitchen.

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I like them too. Schiffini is a good brand. Valcucine is not a brand I would buy. At their showroom in Milan their display was falling apart. I think that they are a better idea than kitchen. I have experience with both of the brands I showed you above and they may be ugly examples of studio kitchens but they are far from cheap in how they are manufactured. As a matter of fact I would put them up against Schiffini and Valcucine in quality any day of the week.
    I love schiffini Londons showroom, I haven't seen Valcucines Milan flagship store, I have only seen the factory showroom and the London showroom and compared to most Danish brands they are both far Superior. When were you at the Milan showroom, during Salone last year?

20. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I feel like the chalkboard paint is over-used nowadays.

It's ok for a portion of wall in a kids room or play-room, not so much in the kitchen. Feels like a cop-out for interesting color and design imo.