• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also considered sanding and refinishing, but I'm not sure that's possible due to the artistic gouging on each board. You'd have to take off a lot of wood.

If I was ambitious I could rip them up as there is concrete underneath and pour a new floor on top, but I have other things to worry about.

lefty

mbaum

Reaction score
I love walnut and put it in as my floor in my loft. Though I did not go for the carved/ antique look and went smooth to contrast the already rugged red brick walls and 1928 warehouse wood ceiling.

Then again, most of the furniture with wood elements is also walnut.

Your floors look good to me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have come to really hate wood floors. Living with polished concrete, and soon with white terrazzo, makes me happy.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Polished concrete is much simpler and lower maintenance, but I like the warmness of wood. Particularly in contrast to colder, more modern furnishings.

Then again I'm sure I'll prefer simpler sooner than later...

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smartest thing my sister did was to pour a continuous terrazzo floor throughout her LA place. It looks and feels amazing.

lefty

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like a random width for hand-hewn boards, also helps if they are in a timber framed house, that being said I think those floors are pretty nice. Definitely too nice to trade in, unless that plan involved sending them to me for installation into my basement.

Edit, random width and big planks. The best I've seen had to be widths between 6 and 12 inches, random lengths and pegged to the beams.

Dammit, I was going to say that lefty needs to send those boards my way if he ever takes them out.

I'm partial to darker floors and absolutely LOATHE the crappy parquet wood floors I see in most NYC apartments.

mbaum

Reaction score
concrete - Enthusiastic yes

Terazzo - It depends. Most often, it gives me a bad 70's vibe if not done in a way/ style like this

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of wood flooring but my current apartment has polished concrete flooring. I've really loved it in the time I've spent there and have found I prefere it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We've actually kicked around tearing up our tiles and doing polished concrete but too many other things to think about, and by the time those are done, it'll be too late for at least one room (something basically non-moveable will be installed). Our tiles are nice though and the cats love them to skid around on.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like concrete, terrazzo and tile, but living in a place where it is cold 6 months of the year makes it a bit off-putting as a choice.

I like the terrazzo with the really giant chunks of marble in it. I'm sure it's a bastard to make, but it looks cool.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like concrete, terrazzo and tile, but living in a place where it is cold 6 months of the year makes it a bit off-putting as a choice.

I like the terrazzo with the really giant chunks of marble in it. I'm sure it's a bastard to make, but it looks cool.

It's easy to make. The company made at least two dozen samples for us and each one was ready in a day. It's basically just mixing a percentage of aggregate into the matrix. We went with white glass, a little clear glass and a little mirror. The natural stone aggregate didn't give us the look we were going for, but it is pretty cool.

mbaum

Reaction score
I hear you as to furniture, curtains, etc. in this room. But I do like it as an example (Not the best, I agree) of the integration of the Terazzo floor in a more modern setting.

To contrast: When I see (and think) of terazzo, most often it looks like this in detail (Fill in your choice of color, pattern, chunks, etc. Same difference to me). And then I feel that I am either in my garage, in a hotel lobby or in my grandmother's kitchen.

Good thing: The only thing that counts is what you like
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surfacestiles