Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

architectural record magazine maybe? Most blogs are terrible explosions of "i noticed there was a 2' space between the stairs and the wall ... perfect place for me to put this crafty little bar and liquor cart!"

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Lols, very true. I fallow one blog, thecarpentryway

3. otc

otc Senior member

Front page reddit shit right here: http://imgur.com/a/1ltQc

4. otc

otc Senior member

Figured this was the thread where woodworking stuff comes up:

Anyone have any tricks for drilling out the center of a hardwood dowel using a hand drill? I can clamp it down in a vice, but it seems unlikely I will be able to go straight through (and we are talking about a 3/8 bit, not something super-small). Worth attempting or should I just find somebody on craigslist with a drill press who will do it for a 6-pack or something?

Got it in my head at like 4:45 yesterday to make something like a possibilitree
    [​IMG]
    Found a store that was willing to do rip cuts on lumber. Wanted to do walnut, but they didn't have any and I didn't care for their other hardwoods. Ended up with a nice cedar board that I was able to cut all of the necessary pieces out of without catching a single knot.
    Bought a miter box and a chisel too, so I can cut the cross halving joint for the base.
    Got all of the branches cut and assembled on a piece of all-thread, supported by nuts, but I'd like to have dowel pieces in the center rather than exposed all-thread. Then, I still need to do some cleanup sanding on the branches (don't think I will finish them for now though...keep the cedar smell around) and finish the base joint.

5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

That thing is suitable for kindling

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Okay, but do you think he can freehand the drilling?

otc, if you get someone to do it for you without much legwork, I'd go that way. I'm sure you could rig up some kind of jig to keep the bit centered and vertical, but it probably isn't worth the effort.

7. archetypal_yuppie

I think the whole project

8. otc

otc Senior member

Well, to each his own, but I rather like them.

I am never actually home for christmas, but I thought it might be nice to have something tree-like in my apartment (and I will not stand for fake trees). A little 3-foot tall wooden tree that casts a neat shadow and can hold a couple of ornaments that people give me seems perfect...and it all packs down into a cardboard shipping tube come January.
    Also felt the desire to use some hand tools (and buy a few new ones) since I haven't done any handy projects in a while.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

9. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, I think I will just go this route. I was thinking I might be able to cut them into short segments (1" or 1.5") that can be stacked back up to make it easier. Even if I screw up 50% of the holes, I would still have plenty of material....but a drill press and some scrap lumber would make short work of it.

10. sugarbutch

otc, it's good that you have a_y to save you from yourself.

11. archetypal_yuppie

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Subway tiles. In several years are people that put them in their kitchen going to wish they had not?

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Nah. They are pretty classic. We are wrapping our entire kitchen in Corian, it seems, but subway tiles are nice.

14. sugarbutch

What about glass tile? I suspect that will look dated not too long from now.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Unless your are really good/lucky everything will look dated sooner than later, remember the kitchen/bathroom tiles from the 70-80's?

The only design tiles, I don't think will look dated are the spanish ones, as they have been used for so long, you can't really period them and they work with so many styles of interior.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014