Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

I could never get my head around him having that title. Oscar Niemeyer who was 20 years his senior will always be my Brazilian modernist.

2. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Sergio Niemeyer was a great designer, but Brazilian modernism pre-dates him, so the title is incorrect. Joaquim Tenreiro would have been the famous furniture designer working 20 years before him, who furnished Niemeyer buildings and a major influence to Niemeyer. Jorge Zalszupin, who founded the design collective L'Atelier, deserves mention as well.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I think it references the furniture design and not buildings, they were both pioneers in creating the brazilian design language, which can still be found in new designs today.

Tenreio was Portuguese and Jorge Zalszupin was polish, so I would it's a matter interpretation whether or not, they were Brazilian modernists, both did great work, but I prefer Rodrigues over both.

I would mind having a Diz, Oscar, Tété or Mole at my house.

4. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

If you are excluded on the basis of being an immigrant, then both North and South America have little "home grown" talent during the early 20th century modernism. The entire basis of Brazilian modernism is the blending of native and European sensibilities.

Tenreiro was living in and making furniture in Brazil before Rodrigues was out of diapers. He pioneered what would become the influence to later designers, including Rodrigues. As an important designer of the 40's and 50's, he was a contemporary of, and on par with the likes of Carlo Mollino and Gio Ponti. His early pieces are in the six figure range at auction.

I love Rodrigues' work, as evidenced by previous posts, but to call him the "father" of Brazilian modernism is simply chronologically impossible.

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Hey guys, total design/furniture noob here - I wonder if I could ask for some help with bookshelves? I very much would like to pick up one or two Sapien shelves at some point this fall (A friend has one, I like the small footprint, and I enjoy the sort of chaotic appearance of a tower of books - not to mention they seem (?) affordable), but know nowhere near enough to understand where I should be buying them from to ensure I don't end up with crap. Then again, if anyone has other recommendations for similarly space-saving designs, I am 100% made of ears.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Like I said its up to interpretation.

This is pretty much the explanation why.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

7. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

You´ll find many suppliers for Rinaldi´s Sapien shelves on the net. I suppose the main thing that distinguishes the original is the solid base and the solid one piece narrow spine when looked at side on. Many reproductions try using cheap folded metal for slotting the shelves into.(probably to save on cost while still offering stability). Considering the cost of the originals relatively speaking not much more than the replicas just make sure it is an original and you cannot go wrong. The Shelves come from Sintesi originally
    Here is another manufacturer http://www.dwr.com/product/sapien-bookcase-short.do
    Even though I normally wouldn´t recommend any replica I do make an exception in this case. While Rinaldi is accredited with designing the shelves, for me its nothing more than a knock off of the many magazine and CD racks that were popular in the 90´s. In fact Rinaldi took his design further with the Ptolomeo CD rack around the same time.
    If you really want to do something special a good metal worker could make one for you to your specs.

Anyway heres a nice link with a few alternatives
    http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...r=2077&page=1&start=0&ndsp=41&ved=0CDwQrQMwCA

8. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Alright, looking for input on what to do with the below space. Initially I had thought about leaning a large mirror against the wall but havent found one thus far that I have taken to. Artwork is a possibility but not my forte and is likely to result in me not filling the space at all. Furniture would be the most functional but the piece is not obvious given the restrictions on depth.

The wall is 7' across and about 5' to the side table. Ceiling is 10'.

[​IMG]

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    First I would take care of open wiring then I would paint this brik wall all white.

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I think open bookshelves would be great in that area.

11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Or nothing. Put a tall plant in the left corner in a bullet vase or something and call it a day.

12. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

IIRC You were planning to post up pictures of what you were working on at the time, have you had a chance to post them up?

14. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

[ATTACHMENT=9757]akismetchartto112007.png (10k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

15. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

The project is dragging along.

I'll see if I can get a photo of the tiling in the back.