Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Now you are getting into a touchy area. The elitist in me wants to reject what is too mainstream popular. But I have learned that sometimes really good design can also be really popular. When this happens, I find the difference is all about execution. This is what stopped me from chucking my Barcelona chair. Or, it causes me to reflect on why I have it. This why I did chuck my Eames chair.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I think this deserves an "OJFC" too. IMO anyone that owns a piece of furniture, or rejects a piece of furniture, outside of a cost, utility, and appeal to personal taste matrix shows one is inherently working at being cool and is not cool.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I might sell some of my stuff because I'm afraid Matt might draw and quarter me. I don't think that's a quest for cool, just trying to stay alive.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not too worry.

You have earrings. In 2014. You're operating on a higher level than they rest of us.

lefty

5. freshcutgrass

Hey...I know going after Eames is a bold move, but that's my perception. Funny, I got the same blowback when I told someone I thought Arcade Fire were boring too. ha ha

"Personal Taste"....oh comm'on....are you trying to tell me that the mainstream's personal taste isn't largely influenced by who you are trying to impress? That's because most people haven't really cultivated a personal taste in many things and tend to be sheepish. And the younger you are , the more likely this is to be the case (peer driven).

And my purchasing "matrix" also includes practical attributes like resale value. Go ahead and buy that knockoff Eames chair, but as an investment it will be worthless. The "authentic" version may be just as boring, but at least has some resale value.

Keep in mind I am one of those slightly flakey "collector" types, so I may have over cultivated my personal taste.

6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

He does have a point this time. The Arcade Fire is insufferable.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Who cares about the personal taste of the mainstream? Who really cares about the personal tastes of anyone but their own?

Not cool people, that's who.

8. freshcutgrass

Being observant isn't the same as caring. And liking cool things doesn't make you cool. Cool is a very interesting ideological concept.

Eames chairs are still boring though.

9. freshcutgrass

Bobby Womack = cool

Arcade Fire ?

10. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

I'll just leave this here for now. You can all appraise it when you've finished clucking.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Freshcutgrass, you are an insufferable douche.

12. freshcutgrass

Calling people a douche is as passe as an Eames chair....overused to the point of losing all meaning.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

This is a curious choice, 'a' Barcelona chair is an oddity in a residential interior. I feel it looks best as a pair, or when paired with the stool ( not a footstool btw), and facing the seating arrangement head on. It's odd than seeing that chair, on it's lonesome. I don't recall any residential interiors that MVDR actually specified a Barcelona chair though he did with the couch pretty regularly. Almost always you see his lounge chairs, which do work well alone.

I think you are over-worried that your place will look like you hired an interior designer who just flogs the popular stuff and moves on. It would be very rare for that to look anything like a curated interior, and if they could pull that off they would be worth hiring.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I was very surprised to see 'my' Cherner plywood chairs decorating Hermes corproate office in Paris. Did Cherner became mid-century cool with urban ghay?

15. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Passé or not, I think we all got the meaning.