Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Yeah it will only be new design/designers and its a bit of a gamble guessing, which will be classics in 20 years

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

There are plenty of lesser known designs of the era that do not contribute to the 'overload' of classics look.

Denmark is turning out plenty of contemporary works which I expect we will still want to look at in 20-30 years.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Normann and hay makes some nice stuff, but most are mass market and already overrun hay aboutachair, is EVERYWHERE here.

I'm currently thinking inoda + sveje DC9 dining chairs, lema mystique sofa, need to figure out the rest.

I need some Jamie Hayon.

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Any particular examples you're thinking of?

5. SkinnyGoomba

Since it's a pita the post pics using the IPad; Ando's dream chair, the TK8 daybed I mentioned above, and the Nyhavn pendant all come to mind and are all recent works.
    The Piero Lissoni sofa is somewhat recent. ('98)
    Moser pendant
    Caravaggio pendant and essay table by Cecilie Manz

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Thanks, will check them out.

7. SkinnyGoomba

Still editing as I reminder them.

There are also a lot of older, mostly forgotten designers that are being dredged up by the major danish manufacturers and some small ones. Some of it is really awesome, IMO. Such as the FK sofa and chair, the grasshopper chair, Mogensen's stuff, Fritz Hennigsen, ect.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had my custom made bar back installed today. Sort of. Part of the install is a narrow cherry wood counter top to separate the bottom drawers from the top cabinets. The counter is beautiful. A beautiful piece of wood shaped and finished wonderfully. The carpenter went to shape it to the contour of the end wall and totally blew it. Placed the curve to hug the wall about 1.5 inches too far and it was glaringly obvious. He placed the three top pieces in but did not finish the molding as he'll have to lift them out when he comes back to replace the countertop. This means I cannot move my stemware etc. into them unless I'm willing to take them all out again. I'll wait on that.

The bottom drawer parts are permanently installed but I had second thoughts on the drawer pulls. Since he has to come back I held off on having those installed and ordered new ones from Amazon. Have my booze in the drawers though.

All in all happy with what I see and I think when it's done next week this will be awesome.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I had my eye on the Caravaggio at one point (and think I've posted it here as a recommendation a long time ago), but in the end it was too shiny for what I wanted (I know it now comes in matte versions as well). It's pretty much already got classic status here. Cecilie Manz also designs for B&O.

As for older stuff finding it's way into production again, have you seen the stuff designed by Fabricius & Kastholm? Some good stuff there, IMO.

10. SkinnyGoomba

Absolutely, I really like the FK stuff.

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

We may have talked about this before, but I have the The FK 150 sideboard in smoked oak and like it a lot. Well matched real wood veneer on all surfaces and nice details, like the sliding doors only being attached at the top, so no unsightly and dust gathering grooves in the bottom panel.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I'm really trying to avoid MCM, as I was to support the new living generation of designers, there's only a maybe 10 pieces I would buy and most are Brazilian and largely unknown outside of Brazil.

Sergio Rodriguez - Oscar
    [​IMG]

Sergio Rodriguez - Diz
    [​IMG]

I would mind a Tulip table, a Platner Lounge chair or a LC2 in some absurd material.

While we are talking Brazilians, I really like these two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regarding the danes, there's Nina Meldgaard Studio, GamFratesi, Hee Welling, Johannes Torpe (creative director for B&O), Christina Liljenberg Halstrøm, Louise Campbell & Norm Architecs.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

13. SkinnyGoomba

I kicked around the idea of getting my LC2 in natural leather with a light blue frame for a while. Saw it in the pictures of Villa Savoye and liked the look. I ended up going with a custom leather.

Anyways, I like those, but if you want to support living artists why not do private commissions?

The umbrella of MCM basically covers everything that was an eclectic, curated collection in the mid century through when it became easily accessible. It's really much more than MCM when you start including Bauhaus, early Danish modern, frank Lloyd wright, brutalist, American craft, ect.

Makes it difficult to be a collector without being labeled a whore for MCM

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I have seen LC2 in terrycloth, velvet etc.

I like the softness the fabric brings over leather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going custom defeats the idea of future classics, as they are going to be one offs and it will be mind numbing expensive to do a full home.

I don't really think brutalism goes in the MCM bag, and don't really remember any brutalist furniture (just google brutalist furniture and most looks like art deco meets tiki lounge, but there was a nice desk), in my world MCM is post arts and crafts 1920-1960's clean and mostly hand made wood, if you like the esthetics and don't want to live in a Tudor box, you can't, unless you go contemporary.

The chairman of Established and Sons (Angad Paul) has a penthouse in London designed by Buckley Gray Yeoman, which is a great example of how to do contemporary furnishing.

http://www.viewpictures.co.uk/Details.aspx?ID=181411&TypeID=1

15. SkinnyGoomba

Those are neat, I've only seen them in linen and wool fabrics before.

Brutalist includes Paul Evans (70's and 80's) and similar, they are almost entirely one-offs but they also get roped in with MCM as the buyers often overlap. I mentioned American Craft (not be confused with arts and crafts) which is mainly Nakashima, Maloof, and Esherick, the style is often accompanying MCM and the time period overlaps, so they get lumped in.

MCM is an ambiguous term, so it often loops in a lot of stuff. You mention MCM as being mostly hand made wood, which would be Danish Modern here, and term MCM is applied here mainly to post WWII production made furniture like Eames, Saarinen, Bertoia, ect.

It's really not critical that it be strictly defined, just a bit of a peeve of mine that what was previously the sum total of a lifetime of collecting modernist pieces is now all haphazardly lumped into the same group and is really not considered to be curated unless you start there and deviate even further.