Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I can us staying for 10-15 years, so I don't mind putting some effort into the place. I'm not doing it to impress perspective buyers, just want to build things I can enjoy for the time we spend here. My study, for instance was a really dumpy 'finished' basement when I started, now I think it's pretty decent to be in and works out to be a great place to host my father or close friends for whisky and private conversation.

Plus, it helps me hone my skills for what's next.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Just received an email from my cabinet maker. The last part is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and if it does, he'll install Friday.

:slayer:

3. js4design

js4design Senior member

+1. I have people question why I would put work into a place I was renting, but the way I have always looked at it is that a long weekend of work is worth 363 days living in a better apartment, even if I don't stand to benefit financially. If you enjoy the work, then it is much more than an investment to entice future buyers.

4. otc

otc Senior member

Exactly.
    So many people don't appreciate the details. So yes, this means they may not pay up for them when they buy your place...also makes it hard to find a new place that has them done right. Instead you end up with crappy contractor labor doing some flavor of the week rehab to get the house sale-ready.

So unless you are lucky enough to find something perfect, you are going to have to do it yourself (or hire quality work)...so no matter what, if you want the details done right, you have to put in the effort.

Ditto for putting work into a rental...I can barely remember the time I spent painting or repairing drywall. My bank account would look not look noticeably different without the expense of the new kitchen faucet or the non-ugly cabinet pulls I put in years ago.
    But, every day when I use those things, or look around my apartment, I don't hate it. Some of those changes have been in place for years--I won't get anything for them when I move, but I have already received more than enough pleasure.

5. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Vintage velvet, looks like comfortable place to park myself.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I've come around to painting/decorating rentals as they have gotten nicer.

Current place has a chandelier "station(?) and the building will install whatever chandelier you buy. The Modo Chandelier (http://www.dwr.com/product/modo-chandelier-3-sided-10-globe.do) would look completely awesome in the spot.

But $3,900+ is a bit too much of a gamble (in terms of assuming it will work in the next spot when we move). So I am sad.

7. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Don't be sad ,it saves you 3K as it is 4 times overpriced in comparison to vinatge originals sold at the acutions.

8. archetypal_yuppie

It was designed in 2009. Nice try though. I did try a cursory search for a used one, no luck.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

No, it is a rip off of Hans Agne Jakobsson design by some hack in order to sell to unsuspecting urbanites at inflated prices. I bet it is made in China.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Mind finding the specific lamp, they copied?

11. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

[​IMG]

12. archetypal_yuppie

I can't see videos, what is that of?

13. archetypal_yuppie

Don't know why you have a stick up your ass about this chandelier...

Googled. Rip off because it, too, has bulbs? Give me a break, I wouldn't even use the world "similar." Prefer the modo, this Hans guy's designs look a bit gaudy.

“Modo’s parts are made by high-end machine shops here in America that typically work for the airline industry. While the inspiration is a bit banal, it is now a very sophisticated product.” The chandelier’s components are painstakingly engineered and custom CNC-milled from solid aluminum. This version has a three-sided frame that holds 10 glass globes, and it includes a 3-foot stem that can be cut upon installation to the desired length. Bulb (not included): incandescent half-silver globe 25W/G25/E26. UL and CUL Listed. Made in U.S.A.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Inspired by is the closest I can get, their website says made in NY.

15. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I have nothing against this 4000 USD derivation other than it is unoriginal. Since you would not even call this similar to the aforementioned mid-century design , I would guess you are the customer they aim for .