Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Right, this is why I don't have a guest chair yet. Not even sure that I need one.

I genuinely enjoy a lot of classics, so I like to use them with my stuff. For instance the dining table I built has wishbone chairs around it (built it for my sister) on my rec

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I stack the books on the floor or through hidden structures or wall-built ones, i'm 100% authentic or your money back.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

3. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

You have to stack em on da stairs too, large manual espresso maker must be prominently displayed as well. Coffee + books = IntellectUal...
    Almost forgot, some 'original' framed prints must be leaned against the walls (no time to hang them), I'm not some petty bourgeoisie, I am an awkwardly handsome intellectual with a fashion sensibility. Old wood hanger by the door must display Stone Island waterproof jacket and Wellies. :embar:

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

ruh-roh. i've got an espresso maker and way too many books. and an original on-linen print of capiello's green devil. it's big enough to lean, but i've got it hung. thank goodness i still dress like sh*t.

5. SkinnyGoomba

I have artwork all over the place but the only ones that ever garner comment are the ones I lean against the wall, in series, because I'm building frames for them.

Maybe I just have really lame taste in art and that's the only thing that makes it interesting.

6. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

You should post pics ,so we can mock and generalise you :D

7. SkinnyGoomba

Sounds delightful. I'll post up my favorites.

8. SkinnyGoomba

[​IMG]

Japanese silk screen from the late 18th century and bought from a Japanese junk collector, which I then framed.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

9. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

only way it could be more cliche is if you make guests take off their shoes at the door and give them a pair of Uwabaki

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

WTF are you talking about? Nothing else looks Japanese... Maybe it's the Le Kobusaki sofa?

11. SkinnyGoomba

Found a picture of the top of that little table shortly after I built it.

[​IMG]

I don't deploy a lot of butterflies, but seemed right for this situation. This is also, the coolest bit of White Ash I've come across.

My current project is coming along;
    [​IMG]

Haven't cleaned up the ragged edge on this case yet, but wanted to show the tapered sliding dovetails I used for the center supports this time around with these cases. These are interesting because they have a point of no return in assembly that cannot be tested in the fit-up because of the nature of it being a compression fit.

[​IMG]

Backs are done as well; they are mahogany crotch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

12. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Thanks for sharing the details, very interesting. Does compression fit means there is no glue involved at all?
    Love the luxirious backs of these cases, always appreciate secondary woods turn out to be primary:) quite an aestatic diff. it makes compare to fuking poplar.
    Why the Japanese print has bubbles at the bottom, what sort of paper it is on?

13. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks, I feel the same in regard to the backs. Compression fits are still glued up for me, gluing them helps prevent the first wiggles which lead to them loosening over time, even though they do not rely on glue for strength.
    That print is a silk screen, it was a little loose when I received it, and I've been to chicken to really go to town tightening it up since it's fairly old.

14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Take it concervator , it would not cost much to straighten the print and you'd accomplish two things: fix it and also receive the info on the age and care of that thing.

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Catching up; I think I know why I've been waiting for my 12 yards of grey velvet for so long - lefty bought up the entire supply for those sofas.