1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's a Bambi chair, the gallery is called fuglen. ;)

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

That's a fantastic looking chair.

I have one hold-out sofa from my wife's bachelorette days that I would like to replace with an Ole Wanscher daybed and I'm wondering how far the expression 'it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission' really goes.

We use the room to psychoanalyse guests.

3. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Definitely a fan of the lounges, although they would not work with anything that we have.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    love that second chair. my parents have a pair quite like it that they had made when they were in japan in the 50s. they live in phoenix now and the sun has really ruined the finish. all faded. SG, how hard is it to bring wood back from that?

5. SkinnyGoomba

Not bad, aside from the refinishing.

If they are oil finished, easy. If they were lacquered, then a bit more aggravation.

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I fell in love with the shape of this chair form the website. Mrs. A sat in it and took about 5 seconds to decide we need to own it. It's ridiculously comfortable. "In the style of Gehl + Nissen", but the dealer was confident that it's the correct attribution.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SkinnyGoomba

Couple projects from now is a bookcase for my wife, getting it together with some test joinery. This is actually a compression fit along the joint, but managed to have a gap at the start, so, working out the kinks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are awful to try and do by machine, not so terrible by hand because they are more easily fine tuned.

8. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Do you draw sketches first? Care to share it with your fans?:slayer:

9. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks MW. I usually do, but in this case I haven't yet. This one will be narrower than my bookcases as a whole, but wider than an individual unit, it'll also be shallower. My plan is to make it out of Honduras mahogany with an amboyna burl back.

The major structural differences will be dovetailed corners for the top, and sliding dovetails at the top and bottom of the center support.

10. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    You've picked pretty dark woods for this. Have you ever seen bleached Mahogany? It looks quite different from the traditional reddish brown Mahg..

11. SkinnyGoomba

I haven't seen it bleached, for this project I'd rather do a light wood (and haven't ruled it out yet) but my wife's desk is one I built in sapele a long time ago before I formed preference away from dark red woods aside from rosewood and bubinga.

I'm leaning toward Honduras mahogany rather than sapele or African mahogany in this case because it's easier to work with hand tools.

If I were starting from a completely blank sheet I would chose white oak and bleach it.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Help a noob out - Hemnes vs Malm.

13. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

If those are your two choices, which I believe implies that you're on an Ikea budget, the Hemnes is the winner, hands-down. At least, it has SOME aesthetic significance, whereas the Malm is a particle-board tragedy with zero form.

14. hegarty

hegarty New Member

Completely different styles though innit. Hemnes is pseudo farmhouse, malm is pseudo minimal. Basically depends if you want a traditional or moder look.