• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with cognac chairs by Saarinen for fiberglass.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You'll probably want to put a dimmer bulb in it than 60w. I use mine for my front room and with a very low watt LED it's still very bright.

twistoffat

Reaction score

Anyone have any experience with using Arne Jacobsen AJ lamps for bedside use?

Yes and I wouldn´t recommend them. I had three and found them to be too dull without the appropriate bulb.
I changed two for some Cuboluco Lamps which are great but with time develope small cracks on the lid and one I changed for a brilliant ITIS lamp from artemide. The ITIS I can recommend very highly.

Last edited:

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I found one of these lamps locally a while back. The shop owner told me they were "arts & crafts". You could forgive someone because they are somewhat reminiscent of that style, but it was obviously a more modern design. You can see a japanese influence, but certainly nothing traditionally japanese.

I ended up finding a pair on line from an old Wright auction and then this blurb on them. They are just solid walnut and no metal screws or anything obviously.

Arthur Erickson (1924 - 2009)

His brilliant private residences around the Vancouver, city, where he worked all of his life, are the finest examples how modern architecture can be arranged very sensitively into the natural and forest landscape. Wood, concrete, glass or steel houses fits into the Canadian wilderness very well and creates up this day original artificial natural spaces.

As a miniature of his 1960s architectural period, we can read this lamp design, too. Created around 1965, the lamp is completely made out of wood and resembles structural elements and systems that he used in his residences such as Smith house (1964), Graham house (1962) or Catton house (1967). These wooden structures were projected for the very wilderness places in the middle of the forests around the Vancouver, British Columbia. Their forms blend with the surrounding nature and create new plastic objects in the landscape.

The construction solutions used in these forest houses are evident in this lamp design as well. Overhanging wooden pillars, beams and cantilevers that together create abstract play of forms, are reduced on the smaller wooden parts constructing the design of the lamp. Lamp is the abstract sculpture documenting Erickson`s architectural mastery in the very small scale.

Photo Courtesy of Wright, Chicago

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Biagio
A masterpiece by Tobia Scarpa (1968)
Carved from a single block of Botticino marble.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't bring up ugly lamps, he will just get mad and demand you explain why it's ugly.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is not that cool, but I think I am going to pick up a pair of Ikea Patrik chairs for my new office.

They're obviously a clumsy rip-off of the swan chair, and honestly I'm not in love with them, but they're $150 apiece. I'm not paying $8500 for a pair of seats in my office in a manufacturing company. I'm explicitly trying not to make a statement in my workplace.

If anyone knows of alternative very inexpensive chairs, I'm all ears, but it will be hard to turn down the price tag on the Ikea.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
but they're $150 apiece. I'm not paying $8500 for a pair of seats in my office

Get the chairs...and spend the $8500 on a Biagio lamp for your desk.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We do vintage market for 104/chair

But for making no statement Ikea is the best. :D

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads