Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

looks like the kunk's dream house.

See? And you thought you wanted to leave the island !

It's actually a fairly compact house (maybe 1,200-1,300 sf overall on two levels)

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

It's actually a fairly compact house (maybe 1,200-1,300 sf overall on two levels)

Personally, I don't see the need to have significantly more space (unless you have 4-5 dogs, a slew of children, etc.). I see some of these "estates" that are 8,000-9,000 square feet and I can't help but think how much of that space is actually used. "this is the gift wrapping room, I get my massages in here, office #1 I use Tues-Thurs, while office #2 is only for Monday and Friday..." A waste!

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Those marble topped tables look quite nice.

Thanks.

Mark , where did you pick your stuff up from?

Found the marble topped tables and the Plycraft chair from the same guy on Ebay. Did a search, then sorted the results by distance to get the local sellers. They guy was in Grapevine and wound up negotiating a deal with him offline (shhhhh. Don't tell anyone) at a bigger discount. He was going to sell the tables separately, but gave me a nice discount to buy them as a set.

The Poltrona Frau table and chairs I saw the first time wandering around some antique stores down in the design district. I watched it for a while and then saw it come up on Craig's list for about 25% less than he had it for in the store. I emailed the guy and offered him about 20% less than that and he took it. The result was that I got the entire set for a bit more than the cost of one of the chairs would be new. The condition is spectacular.

The teak dinette table and chairs I found on Craigs list. It was in a little antiques mall here in Plano, so I ran by and saw it. He had just marked it down about 20% the day before and wound up giving me about 10% more on it.

I just bought my first Poltrona Frau piece the other day:

[​IMG]

The thing weighs a ton and seems very high-quality. It is replacing a crappy Ikea unit, and so I'm pretty excited. The interior is lined in sand-colored suede, and the part on the right side is actually a slide-out drawer, which is upholstered in dark-brown leather.

That table is awesome.

4. gdl203

Personally, I don't see the need to have significantly more space (unless you have 4-5 dogs, a slew of children, etc.). I see some of these "estates" that are 8,000-9,000 square feet and I can't help but think how much of that space is actually used. "this is the gift wrapping room, I get my massages in here, office #1 I use Tues-Thurs, while office #2 is only for Monday and Friday..." A waste!

Not my point. kunk has (at least) 3 children IIRC

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^yes, 3 boys. actually, i think the perfect size for me would be about 1750-2000 sq feet with a lot of at least 150 x 150, not easy to come by in the overcrowded burbs on long island.

i have a 1400 sq foot house now which is a bit too small but still easy to make a mess of so more than 2000 sounds like a nightmare.

we have looked into the viability of buidling a Dwell or Dwell-like house but with permits and all it is tougher than it appears at first glance.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Not my point. kunk has (at least) 3 children IIRC

I wasn't referring to your point, I was speaking as a general observation and/or rant about home sizes these days. With 3 boys, yeah, a little too small.

On topic, I just picked up a new coffee table from a big antique store I visited in Upstate NY. It's made up of many small strips of wood, each of different color, that are all bound together to make the table top. I just have to figure how to get it to my apartment, a debacle.

In additon, I'm having the GF design and build me a new side table. She has a few sheets of thick purple heart wood which looks awesome when finished.

7. gdl203

I wasn't referring to your point, I was speaking as a general observation.

I concur with your general observation. You quoted me so I read it as reacting to my statement.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I concur with your general observation. You quoted me so I read it as reacting to my statement.

ah, i see, I had no idea about the kids thing.

9. gdl203

^yes, 3 boys. actually, i think the perfect size for me would be about 1750-2000 sq feet with a lot of at least 150 x 150, not easy to come by in the overcrowded burbs on long island.
    What about moving a bit more east? If I was already out on LI and commuting to Manhattan, I'd prefer to be a little further out east but in a more pleasant and less concentrated area... Maybe close enough to a decent beach... That said, I don't know sh!t about LI so I'm pulling this out of my derriere...

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^we like huntington but i'd be adding a collective hour to my commute so dunno.

11. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

'Bambi' chair by Tatsuo Yamamoto
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

Prix Émile Hermès

[​IMG]flexe Bicycle helmet by Cyril Afsa, Swann Bourotte, Florent Lefèvre and Sylvain Rieu-Piquet
    [​IMG]

Bronco Rocking stool by Simon LÃ[​IMG]cureux
    [​IMG]

See the other prize winners HERE

13. FatMod

FatMod Senior member

14. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

Claude and François-Xavier Lalanne
    [​IMG]

Claude and François-Xavier Lalanne
    [​IMG]