1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Okay, but do you think he can freehand the drilling?

otc, if you get someone to do it for you without much legwork, I'd go that way. I'm sure you could rig up some kind of jig to keep the bit centered and vertical, but it probably isn't worth the effort.

2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I think the whole project

3. otc

otc Senior member

Well, to each his own, but I rather like them.

I am never actually home for christmas, but I thought it might be nice to have something tree-like in my apartment (and I will not stand for fake trees). A little 3-foot tall wooden tree that casts a neat shadow and can hold a couple of ornaments that people give me seems perfect...and it all packs down into a cardboard shipping tube come January.
    Also felt the desire to use some hand tools (and buy a few new ones) since I haven't done any handy projects in a while.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, I think I will just go this route. I was thinking I might be able to cut them into short segments (1" or 1.5") that can be stacked back up to make it easier. Even if I screw up 50% of the holes, I would still have plenty of material....but a drill press and some scrap lumber would make short work of it.

5. sugarbutch

otc, it's good that you have a_y to save you from yourself.

6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Subway tiles. In several years are people that put them in their kitchen going to wish they had not?

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nah. They are pretty classic. We are wrapping our entire kitchen in Corian, it seems, but subway tiles are nice.

9. sugarbutch

What about glass tile? I suspect that will look dated not too long from now.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Unless your are really good/lucky everything will look dated sooner than later, remember the kitchen/bathroom tiles from the 70-80's?

The only design tiles, I don't think will look dated are the spanish ones, as they have been used for so long, you can't really period them and they work with so many styles of interior.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I think the same could be said about blue Holland tiles as well as any marble or granite. White subway tiles will not look out of place even in 19 century Chateau.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I have brown marble windowsills and those look dated.

Marble and granit really needs to be done in a certain way to look timeless.

13. itsstillmatt

People going for "timeless" generally engage in the worst possible design crimes. Just get what you like.

2 people like this.
  14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Define dated then....

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

They are very much of their time, I don't know anyone who would get them nowadays.

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Takes a while for good shit to look terribly dated. I'm sure walnut will go out of favor and people will wonder why I have so much goddamn walnut in my house, they will think that I should have done the whole place in red oak.

My guess is that everyone looks back on the need to cover everything in granite as being '2000's'. Victorian, shaker, ect style cabinets fitted into a builder house will also seem very curious (hopefully). Those goofy 'wooden' tiles....hopefully also do not survive the test of time.

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's not as much the material as it is the way its used, carved wood paneling isn't in favor now, but wood paneling is.

18. itsstillmatt

If one wants to be safe, sticking to the Danish Modern Life rulebook is always smart.

19. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I can definately see this happening.

I grew up in an apartment where all windowsills were marble (not granite but close enough) I loved them in the summer as they were wide enough to lounge on and read or smoke when parnets were out. I am thinking of installing them in my new apartment as window seats.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  20. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We have a few friends that love the horrible style that is "Shabby Chic". Seems a lot of people are taking good looking bare wood pieces and slapping bright colors on them.