1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Ok...let's test that theory of yours. When I said "design is the new art" I was acknowledging the fact that the concept is out there...and it is. So I do know what I'm talking about. Your personal "feelings" about it are irrelevant. The fact that you get hostile about it is interesting, but equally irrelevant.

Theories are only as good as the evidence to support them. I may very well not know what I'm talking about....but you haven't provided any evidence to support it.

2. freshcutgrass

A: There is evidence of how knowledgable these folks were.
    B: They weren't "behaving badly on the internet"....anonymously.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why do I need to when you have provided copious amounts?

4. freshcutgrass

Here is another variant of the Toogood table.

Hopton white stone cube, a long horizontal cylinder in English walnut, a vertical cylinder in Italian marble and a frame in brass-plated steel mesh.

The glass topped one reminds me of the Metafora table by Vignelli.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i saw this chair yesterday. It's pretty neat, and has a very small footprint.

(also, if you have the business card of an architect, Cappellini will give you 20% off at any time)

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thinking about Morrison bed. Cool if I borrow your wife for a bit?

lefty

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

that's a nice bed. Which is rare, because most beds are awful (it's not their fault, beds are naturally bad looking).

at the NYC store, you basically just need a business card and you're good for 20%.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  8. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

You should be fine with the current Morrison sale. I doubt they give you 40% off if you roll in with an architect.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

You haven't seen Gomie's wife.

lefty

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

in general, Cappellini/Cassina only give 20%, irregardless of the client. HM will go higher. It's like the weirdest "open secret" in the business, and if somebody really wants to sell you something, they'll even hint it with a "you're working with an architect, right? Good!"

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

This works as well.

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

The JM bed is really good looking, definitely one of my favorite bed designs.

This one I love, likely due in part to the fact that it's an installation and everything is cohesive.;

[​IMG]

13. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Retail is indeed for suckers. When I got the Wooden chair, I got 20% off right then and there. Shows you the margins that they are calculating.

I used the Thinking Man's chair a bit and, given how it looks/ the material it is made off, it is quite surprisingly a comfy chair. Ditto for the Wooden chair which must be the most comfortable one I own. I think this due to a superb lounging position and the massive give/ flex of the beech slats.

Mike

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Very happy with the bar back installation. The construction is fantastic, the drawers work exactly how I envisioned and each will hold 16 upright bottles (eight drawers in total), and the upper shelves and stem hangers look great full of glassware and such. I just emailed him to see if he could build a wine cabinet. It would take up most of a wall in my formal dining room, be about 14' long, 29" deep, and six feet high. The depth allows for two bottles per cubi. I have a row of clerestory windows at 7'6" and the ceiling is 13' there going up to 15' two feet from the walls. It should look pretty cool.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've considered it a few times but I have been on SF too long not to know the shitstorm that would unleash. For one thing, if I posted pics, this thread would suddenly be "blessed" by an appearance from GreenFrog.

Best I don't. I promise to post the wine installation when/if it gets done though but that is likely a 2015 project.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    2 people like this.
  17. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I just finished my teak shelf for above the credenza we bought. Found some old teak in dad's shop, milled it down to the right size, sanded, then stained it. Just finished waxing. Putting up some CB2 neck-in wine racks on each side and maybe a plant or a Sapien bookcase next to it. Pics to come later.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

:(

I was really curious to see how it turned out.

1 person likes this.
  19. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Looks like the shin-smasher 3000.
    Why does functionality have to be sacrificed for design?

2 people like this.
  20. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

irregardlessly

2 people like this.