1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

You should post pics ,so we can mock and generalise you :D

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Sounds delightful. I'll post up my favorites.

3. SkinnyGoomba

[​IMG]

Japanese silk screen from the late 18th century and bought from a Japanese junk collector, which I then framed.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

only way it could be more cliche is if you make guests take off their shoes at the door and give them a pair of Uwabaki

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

WTF are you talking about? Nothing else looks Japanese... Maybe it's the Le Kobusaki sofa?

5 people like this.
  6. SkinnyGoomba

Found a picture of the top of that little table shortly after I built it.

[​IMG]

I don't deploy a lot of butterflies, but seemed right for this situation. This is also, the coolest bit of White Ash I've come across.

My current project is coming along;
    [​IMG]

Haven't cleaned up the ragged edge on this case yet, but wanted to show the tapered sliding dovetails I used for the center supports this time around with these cases. These are interesting because they have a point of no return in assembly that cannot be tested in the fit-up because of the nature of it being a compression fit.

[​IMG]

Backs are done as well; they are mahogany crotch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    4 people like this.
  7. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Thanks for sharing the details, very interesting. Does compression fit means there is no glue involved at all?
    Love the luxirious backs of these cases, always appreciate secondary woods turn out to be primary:) quite an aestatic diff. it makes compare to fuking poplar.
    Why the Japanese print has bubbles at the bottom, what sort of paper it is on?

8. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks, I feel the same in regard to the backs. Compression fits are still glued up for me, gluing them helps prevent the first wiggles which lead to them loosening over time, even though they do not rely on glue for strength.
    That print is a silk screen, it was a little loose when I received it, and I've been to chicken to really go to town tightening it up since it's fairly old.

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Take it concervator , it would not cost much to straighten the print and you'd accomplish two things: fix it and also receive the info on the age and care of that thing.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Catching up; I think I know why I've been waiting for my 12 yards of grey velvet for so long - lefty bought up the entire supply for those sofas.

2 people like this.
  11. SkinnyGoomba

Good point, I will do that.

12. otc

otc Senior member

I just saw the new conference room they put in as a part of renovating one of the floors of our office. Most of the renovations look good so far, but I am really quite disappointed with the choice of chairs for the new conference room.

In our other conference rooms, we either have eames soft pad group chairs or pollack chairs...I believe they are all original from the 80s renovations that built out those rooms. Many of them could have used some leather conditioner over the years and are now cracking, but they are otherwise still going strong.

These new chairs look like someone googled "executive conference room" and then tried to replicate the look with chairs from Office Depot. The lines are off, the corners look overstuffed and cheap, the bases looked like plastic...no way are they going to get 30 years of service out of these chairs.

Shit is like a step above (or below...I can't even tell) this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  13. SkinnyGoomba

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  15. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Just curious but the yellow carpet clashes(at least in my opinion) with the furniture in the room. Was it planned or just coincidence as I feel a wooden floor would be better

16. SkinnyGoomba

I hate that carpet, a wooden floor would be a lot better. It's slightly less offensive IRL, since it is not yellow but tan, either way it will eventually be gone.

17. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I feel wide plank floors for this room. Hey, you know how to do tongue in groove ...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  18. SkinnyGoomba

Yeah, the stipulation from my wife is that I can do whatever I want with the floor after we have kids and after they are walking.

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Get a coir carpet, that will teach them to walk in a split.

20. otc

otc Senior member

Nah it just gets you tough knees with funny imprints.

Had one in the basement where I would play with Lego for years....was uncomfortable but didn't stop me from spending hours sitting/kneeling on it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014