1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

It's pretty nice and fits my world well.

lefty

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Need some help in identifying this housing style. I assumed Georgian after some research but wanted some more expert opinions.

Also are there any interior design magazines/websites/companies that are good for particular housing styles? The stuff I can find on Georgian style houses looks very cluttered. . .

[​IMG]

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I've always thought of that as Federal, so your post had me googling. Here's an interesting discussion of the difference: http://www.antiquehomesmagazine.com/Articles.php?id=35

They've ceased publication in the last 10 years or so, but when I was a kid my mom subscribed to Colonial Homes. You could look for back issues on EBay.

4. E TF

E TF Senior member

In the UK "Georgian" refers to a building built while there was a king called George on the throne - basically the whole of the 18th century.

If you look at original paintings and illustrations from that period, the interiors are actually quite sparse, even in the homes of the wealthy. Maybe richly decorated, and what stuff there is may be ornate, but not that much of it. Modern recreations are often a bit overly done.

5. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

That's French colonial with a hint of federal. Georgian refers to the large townhouse style built in uk and irish cities during the reign of king George prior tomthe Victorian era. They are recognizable through their dominant and colorful wooden front doors

6. E TF

E TF Senior member

^Georgian refers not just to townhouses (of all sizes) but country houses, churches, palaces, hospitals, barracks, prisons, warehouses, town halls, clock towers, follies etc etc...

The front doors would have been painted sober, very dark shades of red, brown and green, or, later, shades of bronze-green. Door furniture was black.

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Thanks for the tips. Seems like I will have to cross different styles since it isn't distinctly one or the other. We have some immediate improvements in mind other than decorating so being able to live the in the house and figure out what will look good is a plus.

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'm not sure how true this is, but I've always assumed this was the case due in part because of the time involved in building furniture and other home goods at the time. Hard to fill your home full of junk when it is not in high supply.

9. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
  11. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Close to public transport, access to a private park less than a minute from Oxford Street. What more could you want?

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

A garage.

1 person likes this.
  13. Desi

Desi Senior member

That backyard room setup is pretty sick. Also the size of those rooms, whoa!

14. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Yeah, those houses are pretty mad, I live just around the corner from there and 3.5+ meter ceilings are fairly standard, moving to a normal house is going to feel weird.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I gotta read those URLs more closely when I'm at work...

17. Agnie

Agnie Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  18. lefty

lefty Senior member

Sorry, dude.

lefty

19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

My own fault. There was even an 18+ acknowledgement that I just clicked through without thinking. No harm done!

20. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Correct but in Modern times and in most cases when referring to "Georgian" style the traditional town houses are what most envisage. As to the colourful doors, a Georgian door is still a Georgian door with its wooden panels. They are mostly colourful today reflecting a trend from the Edwardian times of painting the doors bright Green or Red. 20 years ago I was involved in the restoration of a Georgian House in Blessington Street in Dublin. Apart from finding some very cool items under the floorboards including childrens shoes which we gave to a museum, we sanded down the door to reveal it had been painted several times. The first coat was black but the second was bright green then red then white and finally blue. It was a trip back through history. Most Country houses cannot be regarded as examples of Georgian architecture because in the mid 80´s most went through a period of bastardization through their wealthy owners who had fallen for the trend of turning their lovely Georgian mansions into Mock Tudor monstrosities. Two of the best examples of this were Eileen Greys family home in Wexford or Lord Carnarvons family home Highclere house probably better know to you all at Downton Abbey. Check out some of the early pictures to see what was done to them. No today when you picture Georgian its mainly town house with those big Rectangular windows and those lovely panel doors which were later offset by coloums.