1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Try the bin.

2. Therugguy

Therugguy New Member

Cool to find a link to my shop here. Thanks for posting.
    Basically there is a split market between US and Europe. Hype in US with crazy prices like in NY stores for originals and low prices for replicates from India like sold at Pottery Barn. In Europe there is no big market for these rugs jet, mostly used as design object - prices are quite low. Last April in Milan / Italy there were few design stores displaying good Beni Ourains at prices like NY, 5k - 6k for a large size Beni Ourain, so we expect the market to pick up here also. Due to the strong demand in US there was a lot of commercial production within the las 2 years - so now you can get "Beni Ourain rugs" from India, Turkey, Pakistan. If someone is our for a Benii Ourain it will make sence to check one out in real life - I had many customers who wanted one because they had seen rugs like this in magazines and did not feel very confortable when they had one in their hand.

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

4. Therugguy

Therugguy New Member

[​IMG]

Well, all three are pretty good to get a brief idea about what rugs are about. But it is the same as with a good cigar or a good bottle of wine - theory is good to have but nothing beats experience. Due to the fact that rugs come from many different countries and are made in many different types (tribal or private production, small workshops and industrial production) makes rugs a large field. Since this post was about Beni Ouarains there will most likely nothing interesting in these books. There was no market for these rugs since the 1980´s until about 2010 - and all the sudden every stylish designer puts a Beni Ourain on any floor they find.
    I personally like other Berber Rugs much better. My Favorit Berber rugs are Taznahkt with their exploding colors.

5. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I have the Eilands book. My understanding is that if you want just one book on the topic, it is the one to have. I have enjoyed it and it's clearly the best of the ones I own, but I have not dug super deep into it.

There are some with pricing references that are a but more germane for actual shopping, but that's a dicey game considering fashion and geography.

6. Therugguy

Therugguy New Member

Yes, it is one of the best books on the market written lately. But it covers only a few aspects since every autor has his personal view what he / she thinks is important. I am missing the central iranian rugs a bit in this book.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

So how does one assess the quality of Beni Ourain rugs?

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  9. SkinnyGoomba

10. SkinnyGoomba

11. SkinnyGoomba

12. SkinnyGoomba

13. SkinnyGoomba

14. SkinnyGoomba

15. SkinnyGoomba

16. SkinnyGoomba

17. SkinnyGoomba

18. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

I like day beds optically. Functionally nothing beats a "bed" bed :)

19. SkinnyGoomba

A chaise lounge always seems like a better solution to me, but I think they do well as a bench in a space big enough that they can be used from all sides.

20. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Missed these but awesome on both.