• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
I don't suppose you have some idea of the size of that thing?

Don't know the dimensions sorry.
There is a two-arm version available at Jousse Entreprise in Paris.
122hfyd.jpg

http://www.jousse-entreprise.com/arc...php?id_page=40

ms244

Reaction score
Where do you get the round thingies?

Also, I realized that I couldn't get such a thing into this apartment, short of forklifting it through a window.

There should also be some threaded holes on the ends for D-rings.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That thing is very slick. I'd definitely buy a well-made replica, but 421k is a little much for something you'll probably end up ******* on.
laugh.gif

Auction prices are not necessarily a clear indication of the true market value of an object. People seem to regularly go nuts at auctions; the price can quickly be pushed stratospherically beyond the reserve when two determined bidders decide to lock horns over a desired item.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Auction prices are not necessarily a clear indication of the true market value of an object. People seem to regularly go nuts at auctions; the price can quickly be pushed stratospherically beyond the reserve when two determined bidders decide to lock horns over a desired item.
Auctions can be very fickle, but overall I find them one of the best indicators of true "market value", because they represent actual prices paid...especially when talking about important pieces, which is where they generally change hands. I find markets like 1stdibs to be overly inflated in asking prices, and you never know what people really pay for them.

I think the trick is avoid what the market has manipulated into what is "hot" at the moment, which creates a temporary inflated market for such items....which eventually dies down, and is replaced by other "must have" names & items.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
I think the trick is avoid what the market has manipulated into what is "hot" at the moment, which creates a temporary inflated market for such items....which eventually dies down, and is replaced by other "must have" names & items.
Very good advice ...essentially, this is what I was referring to.

Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Auctions can be very fickle, but overall I find them one of the best indicators of true "market value", because they represent actual prices paid...especially when talking about important pieces, which is where they generally change hands.
I have seen various examples of auctions achieving prices for items that can be bought new for less ...but your point is valid in most cases.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I have seen various examples of auctions achieving prices for items that can be bought new for less
I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to, but vintage/early production of items still in production or re-issued will generally carry a premium with collectors...sometimes a large one.

hypersonic

Reaction score
^ sure.

Actually that is an interesting thing ...I can appreciate the preference for originals over re-issued items, but with furniture that has been in continuous production for decades, I struggle to see any real value added just because it is older.

JacobJacob

Reaction score
well in some cases it is because the old stuff becomes collectors items. As an example, the PK22 by Poul Kjaerholm is now produced by Frits Hansen whereas E. Kold Christensen originally produced the chair. Those will always reach a higher price on auctions, because of the "originality" and the rareness. Beside this, older furniture seems to be more beautiful because of the patina they will get over time and use. A new oak table looks rather boring compared to the warm cognac color a 50 yer old table have. The PK22 produced by E. Kold Christensen
8567PKcog1.jpg
By fritz Hansen
PK22_pair.jpg

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I can appreciate the preference for originals over re-issued items, but with furniture that has been in continuous production for decades, I struggle to see any real value added just because it is older.
Yea...re-issues is easy (the entire reason they are re-issued is because the out-of-production units have become too valuable)...and I agree continuous production items are a lot more difficult to justify, especially if it hasn't changed in composition, manufacturer or design/build a slight bit. Most of the items that fall within this category aren't really big ticket items for collectors anyway. That said, you will still find things like early production Platner tables & Eames loungers sell at auction for prices higher than what you can buy it new for at your local Knoll or Herman Miller retailer. Partly due to slight changes in design/materials and partly due to age-patina and also partly due to rarity at the time. The earlier something is in its production span, the more desirable it seems to be. Sometimes they may have been owned by famous people...or someone will pay more money for a production Barcelona chair from the Seagram Building than they would for any other "used" Barcelona chair. The ultimate expression of this, is of course pre-production prototypes, which even though they are generally inferior in build quality to production units, fetch outrageous prices (documentation is important here).

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JacobJacob

As an example, the PK22 by Poul Kjaerholm is now produced by Frits Hansen whereas E. Kold Christensen originally produced the chair. Those will always reach a higher price on auctions, because of the "originality" and the rareness. Beside this, older furniture seems to be more beautiful because of the patina they will get over time and use. A new oak table looks rather boring compared to the warm cognac color a 50 yer old table have.

I really like that chiar ....but I absolutely love the PK25.

Your point about patina is valid I guess ...even if it is a personal taste thing -- but I see irony in the fact that these furniture designs were intended to embody a kind of idealized formal Modernism -- beyond fashion and time -- they were intended to be 'timeless'. A patina almost betrays this intention; it's at odds with the original context of the object. However, we do tend to view these Modern designs from a different context today (a post-modern context if you like).

JacobJacob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
I really like that chiar ....but I absolutely love the PK25. but I see irony in the fact that these furniture designs were intended to embody a kind of idealized formal Modernism -- beyond fashion and time -- they were intended to be 'timeless'. A patina almost betrays this intention; it's at odds with the original context of the object.
That is actuallya good and valid point and I haven't thought it before now. - Thanx for ruin my love for vintage furniture's, you bastard
laugh.gif

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
A patina almost betrays this intention; it's at odds with the original context of the object.
On the contrary, I think these items were deigned to last a very long time, and materials were consciously chosen that will age well...even improve with time & wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads