1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Those are cool, one of my friends in completely obsessed with BDDW, but they're pricey so hearing about it has not turned into seeing it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Their stuff is pretty expensive - that cabinet is 22K I think - but I consider it fair value as the design resonates with me and the manufacturing is impeccable. And since my place looks like their showroom, it's an easy fit.

They also stand by their work. My lamp developed a small crack in the bowl due to humidity I think and they told me to bring it back and pick another off the floor. This was six years after I bought it.

lefty

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

More fun...

wall clock

[​IMG]

bed

[​IMG]

sofa

[​IMG]

stools

[​IMG]

lefty

4. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I like those stools. I think they'd look good in my place. I bought some inexpensive-by-SF-standards wine barrel stave stools that I think are pretty cool but they are less than 100% comfortable, as we found out after receiving them.

5. SkinnyGoomba

Lefty, the craftsmanship looks impeccable. Did you end up doing a lot of Mastercraft pieces as well?

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not yet. We put everything in a holding pattern and decided to live in the space for a bit. I might try to grab a few things tonight if the prices are decent.

lefty

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So is the BDDW sale invite-only? I am going to regret going direct to Lindsay Adelman instead of going through BDDW just to get on the list if so...

Also doesn't help that I am travelling this week for work... hmmm.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

It is. I don't think I can get down there to preview, so may not buy something I can't examine.

THIS IS A LIVE NO RESERVE AUCTION.
    NO TEXT BIDS, NO INTERNET BIDS, NO WRITE-IN BIDS.
    YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO BID.
    ALL ANIMALS WILL SELL.

Alongside cattle and sheep we will also be auctioning approximately 100 items of mismatched, scratched, dented,
    preowned, weird, fun, and odd furniture objects and prototypes.

THIS IS A FAST PACED EVENT AND THE LOTS WILL SELL QUICKLY.
    PLEASE READ THESE IMPORTANT RULES AND NOTES
    THIS IS AN INVITATION ONLY EVENT.

You must pre-register to be put on the list and to receive your bidder number, no exceptions!
    Please register ASAP as seats are limited and we expect to fill up fast.
    During the event the objects will not be available for inspection.
    It is recommended that you preview items before the auction.

ALL BIDS ARE FINAL. NO RETURNS OR CANCELLATIONS.

Measure your elevator if you are buying big items!

PAYMENT IN FULL AND DELIVERY/STORAGE ARRANGEMENTS MUST BE MADE BY THE EVENING'S END.

There will be delivery companies present at the auction.
    Your credit card submitted with registration will be billed
    with sales tax added unless you provide a tax exempt form.
    This is an auction, not a party.
    Talking or disrupting the auctioneer will get you kicked out on the street and beaten by cowboys.
    You are allowed only one pre-registered guest and they are allowed to bid on your paddle.
    If you are not able to come, you may send a representative to serve as a proxy bidder.
    That person must be pre-registered by you in order to bid on your behalf.
    lefty

9. SkinnyGoomba

That sounds like a good move. I've been taking my time with my study and being able to let changes soak in has been a lot more satisfying than doing it all at once.

10. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Senior member

I'm thinking about picking up this teak chair to use at my desk. I'm going to go look at it in the shop in a few days. It's not by any known designer - just says it's by a Danish carpenter/joiner. Price is $500 - does that seem fair? It has been restored and has a new (quality) leather seat.

I don't know much about furniture - certainly not about the craftsmanship that goes into it - but I do know the design of this one is quite obviously borrowed from Wegner's The Chair [​IMG] Where the wood joins in the back of the chair isn't as elegant; it just comes together in a straight line. The curves also aren't quite as beautiful, perhaps. Still looks very, very good, I think.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    cool chair, bro.
    seriously, like that design.

1 person likes this.
  12. SkinnyGoomba

Would not, you can get the lesser versions of 'the chair' for $1500 ish (upholstered seat) and other authentic pieces that are not as famous in the $500 range.

1 person likes this.
  13. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Senior member

Hmm, yeah maybe. I think it's a good looking chair, still. Either way, got a few suggestions for chairs suitable for office use in the $500 range? I really love the Sibast No 8, but it's a little hard to find, even here in Denmark (at least if I want the old teak version, which I do [​IMG]). Helge Sibast's grandchild just started producing it again (last year), by the way. Seems like it's only in oak, though, and they priced it at $1000. Should be able to find it much cheaper used.

14. SkinnyGoomba

Not sure what $500 gets you in Denmark, but you can buy a wishbone chair by Carl Hansen for that here. It is at least as comfortable as the above chair.

Looks like you could probably get a finn juhl diplomat chair by France and sons for a reasonable price as well.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

If you live in Copenhagen there's a vintage shop on Sortedams dosseringen http://www.antikhallen.dk , which may have something that would work.

1 person likes this.
  16. converge

converge Senior member

17. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not a fan. It would better if much slimmer or much chunkier. Also, the way the sculpted base abruptly stops an inch or so below the shade is not very elegant.

18. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I think I'm in love. To top it off they even named the model after my dog. Why does the auction notice/invite mention livestock?

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

Bit of a cowboy theme.

That clock sold for 3750. Just under retail. Theres sbout 50 people here and they're going crszy. Damaged goods are selling for more than retail.

And the hairy guy from South Park keeps walking in front of me. Back and forth.

lefty

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Warrior outfits sold for 600. They had a guy run through the audience in his smalls dressed in the mask.

A good time was had by all.

lefty