1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

A cool Cappellini table we are thinking of:

[​IMG]

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Just curious--why not?

Powder coating is a little late for Saarinen (it would have existed, but the technique wasn't really ironed out and nobody had thought about using it on furniture yet), but the effect of powder coating on furniture really isn't that different than automotive style paints. Cost is a little lower and modern coatings are more durable and scratch/chip resistant than paint, but paint can be made to look just like powdercoat.

Cast aluminum in the form of the chair seems like it would have been doable in his time as well. TIG welding had been perfected too.

I don't think the public would have liked it (or that Saarinen would have actually come up with that styling), but I think it was possible to manufacture in 1956..

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

to be fair, the style of stuff they make is extremely diverse. Sleek and subtle to outrageous are easy to achieve. It's hard for me to think of another company that does the range so well.

also:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Gome,

I have it in down as an armchair, love it. I'm gearing up to buy the 3 seater in down/medium brown for my study. I have a few things to get to first, then that.

5. gomestar

the setup of ours is basically the armchair, but it lacks one of the sides (chair is same width overall). Really great as a lounge chair.

the ubiquity of the sofa has me kind of meh. Same thing with Saarinen tables, Barcelona chairs, and all things Eames. I realize that's a terrible excuse on my part, but whatevs.

6. SkinnyGoomba

I like them all just the same. They're over used at the moment, but they will fade in popularity soon enough.

7. mafoofan

From my understanding, powder coating was extremely expensive up through the 80's, and high-integrity aluminum die-casting wasn't developed until the late 60's. I don't know how cost-effective it was, but I imagine not very, as the first aluminum-bodied car (the Honda/Acura NSX) didn't come out until 1990. Even now, die-cast aluminum is only used sparingly in automotive manufacturing.

8. gomestar

i don't see that. There will always be an office waiting area yearning for a LC3.

9. mafoofan

There are certain forms developed by MCM designers that are so elemental, it is impossible to fully escape them in contemporary iterations. The fiberglass Eames chair is an excellent example. It is hard to reduce the seat of a chair to a more fluid, simple form, without significantly sacrificing usability or comfort. Jasper Morrison's chairs are excellent, but clearly derivative--if not on purpose, then by necessity.

So, I don't worry about using classic MCM pieces. They are often the purest expressions available. We looked at hundreds of sofas before settling on the Florence Knoll. It became obvious it was the right one when all the contemporary versions we liked turned out to be clearly inspired by it. For a low-profile, rectangular, straight-edged sofa, what could be more fundamental?

10. mafoofan

11. gomestar

the bottom right of the first picture demonstrates how to move it: tilt it to the side. Just be careful when you're trying to get your guests back into an eating position, some may be caution about you rolling them.

12. mafoofan

It's actually the perfect chair. A lot of guests seem to think modern furniture must be junk from Ikea. Hence, they don't hesitate to drag our Eames LCWs across the floor to wherever they find convenient. Obnoxious as fuck.

Try dragging these badasses.

13. SkinnyGoomba

Hmm, Krefeld, which pre-dates it and is likely the inspiration for the Florence Knoll line.

14. mafoofan

The Krefeld proportions are all wrong. It's just an angular, straight-lined version of a traditional sofa. The way the arms cant outward is painfully banal. The Florence Knoll, in contrast, cuts a much lower, more open profile. The key is the right angles, the lower arms, and the way the back cushions aren't contoured around them. Simpler, less derivative, more straightforward forms all around.

15. SkinnyGoomba

I think it's a great piece, serves the purpose of being easily specified office furniture, which was it's original intention. I certainly like it better then the Krefeld, but I keep in mind that the krefeld likely paved the way for alot of what fallowed.

16. mafoofan

And everything that came before the Krefeld paved the way for the Krefeld. The Knoll is just aesthetically, conceptually superior.

Consider this, if we really want to trace influence as a metric for successful design, it is impossible to ignore the fact that every other contemporary sofa made is a clear derivation of the Florence Knoll.

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

For more reasons than one.

18. SkinnyGoomba

Foo, If you bend the information to fit your purpose than yes, but Knoll being a student a Mies Van Der Rohe, was more directly influenced by his work.

19. mafoofan

If you have a meaningful critique, I'm happy to hear it.

What on earth am I bending? What does Mies's influence on Florence Knoll have to do with anything? My point is that her sofa is a more perfected modernist piece than his, and more directly influential.

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Lol

That or a Barcelona.