• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We sold our somewhat older mid-century (1949) home in the bay area back in 2016. It recently sold again. We were horrified to see the buyer sheetrocked over the wood ceiling and wall in the living room ... for the flip.

* She'd sent us a letter "I can see myself playing my cello in the very lovely living room with San Francisco in the background." Lying byotch. Of course the cello had no impact on why we sold ... it was the 100% cash offer (with no contingency) at above asking. Still, I never!

My grandfather sold his house on Mt Solidad in La Jolla before he passed - I looked it up on a lark recently.

The new owner is air bnbing it. They covered the exposed beam ceiling in the giant living room thst overlooks the town, painted everything white, and filled it with **** furniture.

Honestly a huge travesty. House was beautiful before it got "modernized".

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit: Also would like a reading lamp in the far corner of the couch, I like the look of the Gubi Grashoppa but the dimensions are too wide at the bottom. Need something that’s like a 6 inch footprint. Another idea is to put a small sconce on that wall.

You should take a look at HumanHome for something with minimal footprint but the presence of a floor lamp

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this:

1642284113228.png

Kroehler, supposedly from the 50s.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old owners of my house put ****** crown moldings in my mid 70s house.

No molding > crowns not in house's style

aye , 'twas a callback joak .

not sure i'll post pics , anybody wanna see the bathroom drawings ?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grandfather sold his house on Mt Solidad in La Jolla before he passed - I looked it up on a lark recently.

The new owner is air bnbing it. They covered the exposed beam ceiling in the giant living room thst overlooks the town, painted everything white, and filled it with **** furniture.

Honestly a huge travesty. House was beautiful before it got "modernized".
I know how you feel. I am not a fan of the all white trend in houses that shouldn't be all white. Btw, my spouse's grandparents and parents were residents of La Jolla. We love spending time there. When we are that way, we have frequent casual lunches at Brockton Villa ... very near where the grandparents lived. My beagle, Sherlock, and I used to take a corner on the patio at the Valencia ... for happy hour.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
after a bit i realized i wasn't crazy about the so called *ming* blue-green glaze , i found it was a bit of a morbid glaze i felt i was always looking at a ghost .
Never thought of it as morbid. Perhaps it's my age. That end isn't that far away ... relatively speaking.

I grew up with the purity of mid-century (my mother's house), the complexity of the arts & crafts (grandmother 1), and casual nature of shingle style (grandmother 2).

The simplicity of mid-century is appealing on an abstract level. But my mind isn't built that way. I'm happier in an arts & crafts setting. It keeps my mind jumping from place to place ... pretty much how I used to design. The cool nature of the matt glaze allows my focus to rest a bit amid all the motion ... while the Newcomb subject matter provides sufficient interest to keep my eyes moving about the piece.

Interestingly all three styles are still in my life to some degree ... in different places.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before / after photos of the kitchen light and ceiling fan.

121819F4-ABA5-479D-B699-F76486E9F871.jpeg
67BF1C47-C666-4337-B63A-A73DDCC14DE2.jpeg
0A6985F2-9D72-4C58-9E10-12365115DBED.jpeg
6D66E79B-5460-437E-80E1-5B183E48E1FB.jpeg

I'm still figuring out the lighting. The bulb on the ceiling fan is garbage so I won't be turning it on much (Lefty would approve). I temporarily disconnected the overhead circular bulb in the kitchen to see how I like things with just the linear and the stove light. Both are a warm 2750-3000 Kelvins, whereas the overhead is a very bright and cold light. I could replace the circular with a warmer bulb, but it's still a lot of light.

I'm also thinking of a sneaking an electrician in here to install a dimmer switch for the linear and re-wire things so that the overhead and linear are not controlled by the same switch.

Otherwise it's a matter of getting more lamps in here. Although how bright does a living room/kitchenette need to be?

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, you changed those fixtures without an electrician? I’m surprised your landlord/building allowed it, but nice job.

I think the hardware color on the flush kitchen light is starting to look at odds with the black hardware on the two new fixtures.

completely unnecessary suggestion but the kitchen might benefit from swapping the pulls to black now? It’s really cheap and can make a nice difference

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SPXKNXN/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_R59R4V3HXSTYXP5G458N

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, you changed those fixtures without an electrician? I’m surprised your landlord/building allowed it, but nice job.

I think the hardware color on the flush kitchen light is starting to look at odds with the black hardware on the two new fixtures.

completely unnecessary suggestion but the kitchen might benefit from swapping the pulls to black now? It’s really cheap and can make a nice difference

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SPXKNXN/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_R59R4V3HXSTYXP5G458N

I’m a sneaky.

No, I got some guys in here from the diner to do it because I figured they could use the money. Building management gave me carte blanche to get them installed, so.

I really dislike the flush mount. Changing the cabinet handles is a good idea. I’m also wondering the likelihood of finding a sconce that would fit the existing fixture? Probably unlikely.

I’m curious, though - do you not think black and silver go together?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can (although black and brass are better together) but here the style and color are different and so close to one another. I dunno. Not a top priority but I’d keep an eye out for a flush light to replace it that would play better with the other fixtures

something like this would play nicely with your kitchen vibe now

B5905DBF-1AAC-4FA8-9315-CD1D6E37E3E4.jpeg 459A8D80-80D3-4930-82D3-B66AC70F299D.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads