• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool Cloud (or Cloudish) Apps

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evernote kicks ass. It's such an easy and powerful way of storing notes, pictures, etc - whatever info you want to keep. Info is automatically backed up to the Evernote servers and is accessible on just about every platform out there (iPad, iPhone, Android, lots more). You can password protect notes as well. Storing less than 60MB is free. Several plugins and 3rd party apps.

http://www.evernote.com/

This is more regular online stuff, but this site will generate ruled paper (PDFs) in almost any conventional style out there. Even has a generator for storyboards.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

Prezi is a modern presentation app. It's been used in many TED presentations over the past few years. Free, but limited features in the free version.

http://prezi.com/

What else is out there?

Last edited:

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing groundbreaking but I use Dropbox and Google Music. Once Gmusic releases their phone app I can stop using itunes altogether. The recent ios-optimized interface is very good, a little laggy.

An oldie but a goodie is a plain FTP client. I dunno why there aren't more FTP client apps - for static docs like photos, it's just like dropbox

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have Dropbox, I can't recommend getting KeePass and keeping your password database in a Dropbox folder enough.

I have 144 passwords to keep up with and this makes it a breeze.

KeePass for Windows

KeePassX for Linux

MiniKeePass for iPhone.

Winning.

Last edited:

Alfa159

Reaction score
How secure is that? I used meypass before but found it somewhat of a hassle. Keeping it on Dropbox seems nice but....

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can scale the security. I only require a password to "log in" to my password database. But you can set it to not only require a password, but a *.key file as well.

Encryption algo for the database is standard AES 128 bit block cipher with a 256 bit key file (if you require it)

Alfa159

Reaction score
But how secure is it to keep the database on dropbox.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But how secure is it to keep the database on dropbox.

Apparently the United States government has access to anything stored on Dropbox.

http://www.thesssblog.com/2011/04/dropbox-can-show-the-fbi-what-youve-uploaded/
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
As set forth in our privacy policy, and in compliance with United States law, Dropbox cooperates with United States law enforcement when it receives valid legal process, which may require Dropbox to provide the contents of your private Dropbox. In these cases, Dropbox will remove Dropbox’s encryption from the files before providing them to law enforcement.

TBH I'm not too happy about a foreign government having access to all my personal stuff, so wouldn't use anything like Dropbox or similar. I guess one could probably encrypt all document and things before uploading to Dropbox, using Truecrypt.

US Govt has access to Dropbox.
Saudi Arabian Govt has access to Blackberry
Chinese Govt has backdoors into most computers in China and probably elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love Dropbox and Evernote. Both are amazing.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as Dropbox goes, I'd be more concerned with them stealing your **** than handing it over to the gov. They made changes to their EULA a while back that pretty much means if you use their service, they can take whatever intellectual property in your Dropbox and keep it for themselves.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As far as Dropbox goes, I'd be more concerned with them stealing your **** than handing it over to the gov. They made changes to their EULA a while back that pretty much means if you use their service, they can take whatever intellectual property in your Dropbox and keep it for themselves.

Almost all online services have EULA's that say things like this. Facebook, Myspace, Flickr, they all do. I wouldn't worry too much about it as it has never really been a problem before.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Almost all online services have EULA's that say things like this. Facebook, Myspace, Flickr, they all do. I wouldn't worry too much about it as it has never really been a problem before.

I don't worry about it, Dropbox fanboy here, I can't live w/o the service heh.

If I was an artist on the other had, I would definitely not keep my portfolio on it heh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads