• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooking--things you wish you'd learned earlier

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to Ed. Maybe with education he will move beyond roasting carcasses on a spit.

Ok, today I was peeling shallots -- a lot of them -- and I started to get really fed-up. I googled a shortcut and apparently you can dunk them in a covered pot of boiling water for 3 minutes and they become a lot easier to peel. Wish I'd thought of that an 45 minutes ago. I was almost finished so I didn't bother, but it'll be nice to know for next time.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't knock roasting carcasses. Them's some mighty good eatin's.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Don't knock roasting carcasses. Them's some mighty good eatin's.

+1. There's not a damn thing wrong with roasting carcasses. Good meat is good simply. Don't ******* up with fancy smancy sauces.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I'd learned earlier how easy it is to make fresh pasta, and how much better it is than dried. If I keep a ball of dough in the fridge, I can crank out and cook fresh pasta in the same time it takes to cook dried.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I wish I'd learned earlier how easy it is to make fresh pasta, and how much better it is than dried. If I keep a ball of dough in the fridge, I can crank out and cook fresh pasta in the same time it takes to cook dried.
rolleyes.gif
Actually, other than a couple specific dishes dried pasta is much better than fresh for any number of reasons. Although some people believe that you can substitute, you really can't. Spaghetti, pene, linguine etc all MUST be dried. Some noodles can be fresh or dried, but the great pasta dishes all NEED dried pasta. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. GQ- Don't be a baby. I used to have to finely dice 2 cups of shallots a day. Don't dunk them, just learn to use your hands better
wink.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I had learned to open a wine bottle without a bottle opener earlier in my life.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I wish I had learned to open a wine bottle without a bottle opener earlier in my life.

How?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
rolleyes.gif

Actually, other than a couple specific dishes dried pasta is much better than fresh for any number of reasons. Although some people believe that you can substitute, you really can't. Spaghetti, pene, linguine etc all MUST be dried. Some noodles can be fresh or dried, but the great pasta dishes all NEED dried pasta. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

GQ-

Don't be a baby. I used to have to finely dice 2 cups of shallots a day. Don't dunk them, just learn to use your hands better
wink.gif

Hey man, I was cooking a big batch of bourgignon to try and SAVE time since i'm super busy over the next 2-3 months. Maybe next time I shouldn't do it out of a Thomas Keller cookbook.
tounge.gif
I realized I need more pots tonight as well. God I can't wait to own a house with a 6 burner range and a huge kitchen. I did dishes like 4 times tonight =/ I need a wife (for the dishes, not the cooking-actually she can peel the shallots)
lol8[1].gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
How?

You need tools.

Take a screwdriver and put a screw into the cork. The screw should be maybe an inch give or take. Put it in 3/4 of the way. Then hold the bottle between your feet, use pliers to hold on to the screw, and pull up. Works like a charm. This usually only comes up at places like a hardware store or my apartment.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wish I knew more than a decade ago that you cannot pour highly flammable fuel on a barbecue and not expect to get 2nd degree burns all over when the fuel can explodes in front of your face.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
rolleyes.gif

Spaghetti, pene, linguine etc all MUST be dried. Some noodles can be fresh or dried, but the great pasta dishes all NEED dried pasta. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

How silly of me believing all of those Italian chefs who state ad nauseum that fresh is the best way to go. And how sad for them that they spend so much time making pasta in their restaurants when they could just nip out to Safeway and grab a box of Barrilla.

Of course there is no "the way it is" - taste is subjective by definition.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I'd learned earlier how easy and useful it is to make your own stock--chicken, fish, whatever.

I wish I'd learned earlier that a few simple things in my kit--like a meat thermometer, a mortar & pestle, and one great chef's knife--are better than lots of gadgets I'll never use again.

I wish I'd learned earlier never to get involved in dried vs. fresh pasta debates. But I know better now.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I failed miserably trying to open up a bottle of wine at my friends b-day party in July.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
How silly of me believing all of those Italian chefs who state ad nauseum that fresh is the best way to go. And how sad for them that they spend so much time making pasta in their restaurants when they could just nip out to Safeway and grab a box of Barrilla. Of course there is no "the way it is" - taste is subjective by definition.
rolleyes.gif
never mind, believe what you want no matter the facts.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You need tools.

Take a screwdriver and put a screw into the cork. The screw should be maybe an inch give or take. Put it in 3/4 of the way. Then hold the bottle between your feet, use pliers to hold on to the screw, and pull up. Works like a charm. This usually only comes up at places like a hardware store or my apartment.

I figured you had adapted the champagne saber into a wine application. Man, what a let-down
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics